Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

Solid black copy and scans only through document feeder

I came across a new one today on a CS 4500, although the fix would apply to several Kyocera/Copystar models.

Customer called and said that their copy and scans were coming out solid black but prints and copies off the glass were fine. I had the customer try and make a 2 sided to 2 sided copy for me and the front side was black (as expected) but the second side came out fine. I knew then that something was definitely not right. I went there this morning and removed the main glass and cleaned the optics but nothing stood out as wrong. Long story short, someone had turned the scanner lock piece that gets moved prior to the initial setup back to the locked position. It wasn't "locking" the scanner but instead blocking the scanner from moving all the way to the left. This was causing the solid black copy and scans when using the doc feed. Anybody ever come across this before?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Solid black copy and scans only through document feeder

Quote Originally Posted by progoffice View Post
    I came across a new one today on a CS 4500, although the fix would apply to several Kyocera/Copystar models.

Customer called and said that their copy and scans were coming out solid black but prints and copies off the glass were fine. I had the customer try and make a 2 sided to 2 sided copy for me and the front side was black (as expected) but the second side came out fine. I knew then that something was definitely not right. I went there this morning and removed the main glass and cleaned the optics but nothing stood out as wrong. Long story short, someone had turned the scanner lock piece that gets moved prior to the initial setup back to the locked position. It wasn't "locking" the scanner but instead blocking the scanner from moving all the way to the left. This was causing the solid black copy and scans when using the doc feed. Anybody ever come across this before?

It was the first thing I thought of as I started reading your post. I have seen it on other machines that have the sliding scanner lock. I haven't had someone flip the locking plate around on me yet though.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Solid black copy and scans only through document feeder

Its very common on the Matsuri's (FS-6525MFP). The scanner lock is this unmarked lever on the back left corner, that you'll invariably grab to roll the machine out. I've never had anyone flip the locking plate on an Alphard on purpose though.

On the small Sharps there was a plastic dial under the scanner, that endusers used to fiddle with, accidentally locking the scanner. On all my machines I removed the lock, and covered the hole with a disk of self-adhesive mylar.

I've also had several people that thought they didn't need no stinkin' technician to set up their copier. So when they fired the machine up with the scanner lock on, each machine had it's own unique kind of damage. Sometimes a wrapped scanner clutch or a thrown wire rope. Sometimes just an error code to clear. And it's funny ... the copies come out blank when there's no developer. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 05-11-2019 at 01:55 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=