Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Print Sub-Scan Magnification Adjustment

This is the first time anybody has ever asked me this:

On a KM-2552ci at an engineering firm, the customer hands me an InDesign created document. It's a circle with diameter 150mm. He says that if he prints it LTR the one dimension (sub-scan) is 149.3mm, and the other dimension (main-scan) is 150.0mm. If he prints it LTR-R it's the opposite (still sub-scan slightly reduced to 99.5333%, main-scan still 100%). That part is good, since I can't really adjust the print main-scan magnification.

I've been doing image adjustments for a long time on Kyoceras, but the magnification adjustment is for scanning not printing, and won't affect prints. On most of the new machines now you can adjust motor speeds, and I figured that if I could slow down the primary transfer belt a little, I could stretch out the print.

It would have been really easy to find if Kyocera called it "print sub-scan magnification" or something to that affect. It's U053 > Motor 2 > Trans Belt = 0 (default). The manual tells me that I can adjust from -5000 to +5000. My final value was -65 to magnify 0.4666% (or 139 increments for each 1% if it's linear).

Naturally the color registration was horrible as a result, but doing a color calibration tightened it right back up.

Machine specifications are +/- 0.8% magnification, so it was technically within specs, but I'm not a stickler for that sort of thing when I can improve on it. I just thought that was interesting to get such an unexpected request. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Print Sub-Scan Magnification Adjustment

Hi Blackcat. Had a case about a year ago on a 2551ci installed at an electrical contractor that does hydroelectric installs. Like you the unit was well within specs and when questioned further they responded that their sub-contractors actually used a ruler on the engineering drawing to determine placement of components, even though the actual dimensions where printed on the drawing! What was really interesting in this case was they had a wide format Canon printer that was even further off and were using the 2551ci because it was better. What I could never understand was why the sub-contractors would being using a ruler on the drawing instead of the printed dimensions? Made a few adjustments like you to satisfy them, but it still baffles me why they would be measuring dimensions instead of using the measurements printed on the drawing?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

My enduser is quoting jobs in various stages, and each stage is a different color printed on transparency, so a finished job might be several layers of transparency. They noticed when some of the pages got printed LTR and some LTR-R, and the differences became apparent.

I can imagine the sort of inaccuracies inherent in taking physical measurements from a 1/100 scale drawing, rather than using the printed numbers. Idiotic. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Thanks for the additional info. Definitely would highlight any deviance when doing overlays on transparencies and then combining them.