TASKalfa 3051ci print quality

I know this is a complete noob question, but what would be the first steps in troubleshooting a print quality issue on one of these machines? The little bit of research I've done points towards the drum for the affected color (black), but I wanted to make sure that was the right direction before beginning. I assume cleaning the drum is a possibility? Any help, links to a service manual, or any other guidance is greatly appreciated.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: TASKalfa 3051ci print quality

Standard CQ service call for me:

1. Clean the machine.(don't skip)
    2. sytem menu-maint: run drum refresh, dev refresh, laser cleaning, calibration, color registration, calibration, toner curve adj. (in this order)
    3. from maint mode run sim 089 and print a sample set.
    4. Use repetitive defect guide to determine as much info as possible as well as experience with the machine to determine fault.

Sometimes what looks like a drum issue will turn out to be dev and vice versa.
    Is the issue on a single color or all colors? Now we can eliminate some parts as the cause.
    Is the issue missed toner coverage or excess toner coverage?

Thanks for the quick response Darry. I'm not a seasoned copier guy, so bare with me on asking a couple of questions to your points:

1) I assume you mean just a general cleaning with a vaccum?
    2) Is this one of those hidden service menus that has to be initiated with a magic keystroke?
    3) More or less the same as #2. I understand the process you're describing, just not sure how to complete it.
    4) See #2 & #3

I would say the issue is missed toner. Light printing with visual distortion in some areas of the page. This is only on black afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by ncitguy View Post
    Thanks for the quick response Darry. I'm not a seasoned copier guy, so bare with me on asking a couple of questions to your points:

2) Is this one of those hidden service menus that has to be initiated with a magic keystroke?
    3) More or less the same as #2. I understand the process you're describing, just not sure how to complete it.
    4) See #2 & #3

I would say the issue is missed toner. Light printing with visual distortion in some areas of the page. This is only on black afaik.

1) general cleaning means all dust and loose toner as well as any other buildup on rollers and/or glass surfaces. The usual copier service cleaning.
    2) system menu items. There's a button on the panel called system menu. Check it out.
    3) service maintenance mode. It's where all service settings are done.
    4) This is just using your knowledge of the copier/printer process to isolate/eliminate possibilities.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ncitguy View Post

4) See #2 & #3

You might start by printing a test pattern from USB, then see which colors are affected and how.

Just keep in mind that some of the most profitable service calls were done to fix something that the enduser already tried to fix. =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 08-07-2019 at 12:20 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Thanks again Darry. The copier is in another building so I wasn't sure of what controls were available on the panel. I'm starting with those general cleaning tasks and will go from there...

maybe you could describe what print quality issue it has? light prints, dark background, and etc....
    then can be more specific as what should be done to fix the issue. but you are in the right direction from what everyone else has recommended...

Technician

White lines, Voids could be a dirty laser glass, don't forget to do Laser Cleaning. Black lines coould be a bad charge roller and you don't have to replace the entire drum unit.

From what I have seen, the dev sleeve coating wears thin and will cause fill issues. But you should be able to catch this easily during a proper cleaning.

Technician

Clean or replace all 4 charge rollers.