Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Kyocera KM-3040 ADF Feed Motor Issues

Greetings and Salutations....

Our office has a KM3040 copier and when copies are made thru the ADF, after about 15 or so copies the edges get cut off, then it goes back to normal, then repeats. It does this even if its single sided or duplexed. It also does it if the ADF is not used.

We had a tech come out, he readjusted the Leading Edge Registration (??), but said the issue most likely is with the ADF Feed Motor, and eventually will fail. He indicated that since it is an older machine (purchased brand new in 2008) that replacement parts are no longer available He said if it keeps doing it, they will come out and fix it, but eventually it won't be able to be fixed; or purchase a new one, we are a small office and cannot afford a new one. I have found an online parts schematic, but cannot find anything like what he said was the issue. Our IT guy said the part we might need is the DP-420. I wouldn't know one was if it was standing in front of me, and don't even know if that's the correct piece.

Has anybody ever had this problem with this copier?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Kyocera KM-3040 ADF Feed Motor Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Horvath View Post

Our office has a KM3040 copier and when copies are made thru the ADF, after about 15 or so copies the edges get cut off, then it goes back to normal, then repeats. It does this even if its single sided or duplexed. It also does it if the ADF is not used...
    Hi Mike. Welcome to Copytechnet. I would be remiss if I didn't point out some holes in your story:

You say the image registration varies when you use the ADF, then you say it does the same thing when you don't use the ADF, so that means to me that it couldn't be caused by anything in the ADF. Yes varying registration CAN be caused by the ADF ... if you were using the ADF. Additionally, motor failures are pretty rare on copiers, making it even less likely.

More likely, the image registration issue is happening with the copy paper, not the original scanning. It could happen because of something as simple as a worn set of feed rollers picking up poorly, reaching the registration roller a little late, but not too late to jam. You can test this idea by running different paper sources (trays) to identify which are affected.

You can get this affect if there is not adequate pressure from the white pressure rollers in the side door. On many Kyoceras there are three positions to place coil springs and it comes with (1) spring each shaft. If you install (2) springs per shaft it seems to work a lot better. The door will pop open if you install (3) springs.

There also is something called a loop adjustment. It is a timing adjustment to adjust the size of the paper buckle. If the buckle is too great you'll get a Z-fold in the paper before printing. If the buckle is too low you'll get varying registration, paper skew, and/or jamming.

The third common thing that can cause varying registration is a failing pickup clutch or registration clutch.

If you did all these things you'd have less than $200 in parts and 1 1/2 hours labor.

... He indicated that since it is an older machine (purchased brand new in 2008) that replacement parts are no longer available He said if it keeps doing it, they will come out and fix it, but eventually it won't be able to be fixed; or purchase a new one, we are a small office and cannot afford a new one...
    Yes it's an older machine. A big part of your decision will be looking at the condition of the rest of the machine.

... Our IT guy said the part we might need is the DP-420. I wouldn't know one was if it was standing in front of me, and don't even know if that's the correct piece...
    The DP-420 is the entire complete document feeder (ADF). From what you've told me I would suspect a copy paper feed issue, not an original feed issue.

... Our IT guy said the part we might need is the DP-420. I wouldn't know one was if it was standing in front of me, and don't even know if that's the correct piece.

Has anybody ever had this problem with this copier?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
    I can look up some part numbers if you like. What do you think? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Hi Mike. Welcome to Copytechnet. I would be remiss if I didn't point out some holes in your story:
    The only way I can describe it is that it only seems to do it if we do a mass copy job. If we make 10 copies at a time with a significant break in between, it doesn't seem to do it. Putting a copy on the glass seems to have cleared itself up.

Yes it's an older machine. A big part of your decision will be looking at the condition of the rest of the machine.
    For an 11 year old machine, its in pretty good condition....except for this problem

The DP-420 is the entire complete document feeder (ADF). From what you've told me I would suspect a copy paper feed issue, not an original feed issue.
    Our IT guy found this part #, the ADF that's on our machine is a DP-670.

I can look up some part numbers if you like. What do you think? =^..^=
    Yes, please that would help alot, then I could have a general idea of what to look/ask for. Like I said, I wouldn't know a thinga-ma-wanger from a thinga-ma-bob if they were sitting right in front of me

Thanks for your input!!

Mike

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I'll look up this numbers this evening. In the meantime you'll have to come to some conclusion:

Does it EVER do this problem off the glass? If yes, it's not the document feeder. Try running 100 pages from each tray with the original on the glass. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I'll look up this numbers this evening. In the meantime you'll have to come to some conclusion:

Does it EVER do this problem off the glass? If yes, it's not the document feeder. Try running 100 pages from each tray with the original on the glass. =^..^=
    No, it doesn't do it off the glass. That must have been a one time fluke because its not doing it now.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Our office has a KM3040 copier and when copies are made thru the ADF, after about 15 or so copies the edges get cut off, then it goes back to normal, then repeats. It does this even if its single sided or duplexed. It also does it if the ADF is not used.

Mike
    Since you don't think like a copier tech (no offense it's not that glamorous) I'm not yet convinced.

Do you mean 15 or so ORIGINALS in the document feeder? Or a few originals and 15 or so PRINTED COPIES. If the latter, it's the main body.

Also if you're making say 3 sets of originals and page 12 has bad margin, page 12 on the second and third set should be identical. If not, it's the main body.