Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: FS-2100DN network question

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Setting a static ipaddress for printers is basic networking 101, However setting a reservation IS NOT within YOUR scope of work.
    You would ask if they had IT to give you a static ipaddress or if it's a small company you would add 50 to 100 to there ipaddress as to NOT have a problem pulling a ipaddress set to there PC range. If your company lets you make ip reservations on customers networks good for you, hope your company has good attorneys and there router never fails.
    I totally understand what you're trying to get at. However, suggesting that adding a DHCP reservation is a liability concern is a bit of a leap in logic, no? It's not logically feasible for a DHCP setting change to cause a router failure in any scenario.

If it's a small company that outsources their IT needs (or doesn't pay for IT at all), it's not unreasonable to at least attempt default router login and password combinations, of course after asking for permission. Usually, default DHCP ranges don't need to be adjusted and adding a single DHCP reservation isn't going to change anything other than reducing print/scan downtime. It's honestly a no-brainer. Setting a static without any knowledge of DHCP range or network landscape is a recipe for conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by wragsdale View Post
    I totally understand what you're trying to get at. However, suggesting that adding a DHCP reservation is a liability concern is a bit of a leap in logic, no? It's not logically feasible for a DHCP setting change to cause a router failure in any scenario.

If it's a small company that outsources their IT needs (or doesn't pay for IT at all), it's not unreasonable to at least attempt default router login and password combinations, of course after asking for permission. Usually, default DHCP ranges don't need to be adjusted and adding a single DHCP reservation isn't going to change anything other than reducing print/scan downtime. It's honestly a no-brainer. Setting a static without any knowledge of DHCP range or network landscape is a recipe for conflict.

Guess the thousands of installs and still do over the last 20 years have been in error, Don't think so as I worked to two of the largest copier companies in the world. Setting a DHCP reservation is BEYOND your SCOPE of WORK.
    By the way are you COMPtia PDI+ or Network+ trained?

PS a router failure will lead to NO PRINTING without the copier having a static ipaddress. Replace the router with the same ip settings no problems no service call.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    FS-2100DN network question

Whenever I do a network setup, I see what the DHCP pool is, and I select an address that is just outside that range of addresses. The larger the company is.... and the more devices using that network (Smartphone/Tablets/Laptops/etc.) the greater the risk for an IP Conflict.

That's just a habit I got into years ago when networking MFP's became a thing.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Have you got a spare IB-50 laying around you can try? There may be an issue with the embedded NiC?
    Re setting reservations etc being out of our scope?...I find that comment laughable, mainly because as a copier/printer tech it has become apparent to me and our team that our expertise in regards to these devices and their set up, even to the enterprise level, far exceeds most “qualified” IT support companies we deal with. Just my two cents worth! FS-2100DN network question

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Guess the thousands of installs and still do over the last 20 years have been in error, Don't think so as I worked to two of the largest copier companies in the world. Setting a DHCP reservation is BEYOND your SCOPE of WORK.
    By the way are you COMPtia PDI+ or Network+ trained?

PS a router failure will lead to NO PRINTING without the copier having a static ipaddress. Replace the router with the same ip settings no problems no service call.
    I wasn't trying to imply that you have been doing anything wrong, just that maybe it isn't black and white. I can be a bit dry with my responses so I understand why you took it personally, but we're all just having a discussion here. I don't bring my ego to an internet forum about copiers and it'd be nice to expect the same from the other professionals here.

The whole line of reasoning (Setting change -> router failure -> better have a good attorney) is such an odd way of looking at it, though. The idea of setting a reservation on a small network is to avoid issues with incompetent (read: non-existent) network management. Assuming an unused IP address without a reservation is exactly how you end up with an IP conflict.

Also, a router failure where a static address was set vs a router failure with a reservation will both result in no printing. Replacing hardware and settings in both scenarios will result in printing resuming. I'm not entirely sure what your point is there.

Again, I'm not challenging you or the idea that setting a static IP works. I think that, when possible, approach the customer and arrange for a better solution than just picking an IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by wragsdale View Post
    I wasn't trying to imply that you have been doing anything wrong, just that maybe it isn't black and white. I can be a bit dry with my responses so I understand why you took it personally, but we're all just having a discussion here. I don't bring my ego to an internet forum about copiers and it'd be nice to expect the same from the other professionals here.

The whole line of reasoning (Setting change -> router failure -> better have a good attorney) is such an odd way of looking at it, though. The idea of setting a reservation on a small network is to avoid issues with incompetent (read: non-existent) network management. Assuming an unused IP address without a reservation is exactly how you end up with an IP conflict.

Also, a router failure where a static address was set vs a router failure with a reservation will both result in no printing. Replacing hardware and settings in both scenarios will result in printing resuming. I'm not entirely sure what your point is there.

Again, I'm not challenging you or the idea that setting a static IP works. I think that, when possible, approach the customer and arrange for a better solution than just picking an IP address.
    If you touch there router YOU OWN IT, Doesn't matter if it's a week or two years from now, The Customer will ALWAYS blame YOU.
    As far as router failure both will result in no printing?????? NOPE router replaced with same ip range everyone will still print.
    Last edited by bsm2; 08-13-2019 at 01:38 AM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Setting a static ipaddress for printers is basic networking 101, However setting a reservation IS NOT within YOUR scope of work.
    You would ask if they had IT to give you a static ipaddress or if it's a small company you would add 50 to 100 to there ipaddress as to NOT have a problem pulling a ipaddress set to there PC range. If your company lets you make ip reservations on customers networks good for you, hope your company has good attorneys and there router never fails.
    Setting a printer to a static IP WITH making a reservation in DHCP is networking 101 and the preferred method, just setting a static IP is not. And yes, some of us here do have network certifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Setting a printer to a static IP WITH making a reservation in DHCP is networking 101 and the preferred method, just setting a static IP is not. And yes, some of us here do have network certifications.

Stick to main body Your NOT a IT tech!

If you touch there router YOU OWN IT, Doesn't matter if it's a week or two years from now, The Customer will ALWAYS blame YOU.
    As far as router failure both will result in no printing?????? NOPE router replaced with same ip range everyone will still print.

Last edited by bsm2; 08-13-2019 at 01:38 AM.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Geo, it usually comes up as undefined if the gateway doesn't match the subnet of the IP address. Make sure you have it entered in correctly. That's experience speaking.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Technician

Boys boys boys. Lets cut the shit, f the router just go straight to usp print. No static ip issues there problem solved!

Serious question here, Why not install to network using the printers host name? Its not an mfp, can only print