Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Jiggerypokery

Falcon3 KM5050 Button/print problem

Hi,

Firstly great forum!

I have a KM-5050 which upon my arrival at site, the buttons would beep when pressed, but not actually do anything. For example press 55 and you'll get 2xbeeps but not 55 copies. So the thing knows you're pressing em, but won't do anything. Tried new FW 2.20c.

Rebooted and they worked fine, but then the printer wouldn't print (not sure if it printed when the buttons were broke as i didn't check). Tried direct connect via crossover from laptop and couldn't ping the copier either. Laptop happy that i am connected to something and appropriate lights on cards flashing to indicate a connection.

Tried the following in this order:

• Reseated everything under control panel including ram chip.
    • Reseated everything on main board at back.(The one with the network/printer ports etc)
    • ordered and fitted main board.

Upon fitting main board, the machine buttons again no longer work correctly and i can't ping it, suggesting that i'm back to the beginning!

Anyone had similar issues or know what i can try next?

Thanks in advance,
    Mr J. Pokery esq.

in more than one occasion I had to change the firmware module that is below the panel

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerypokery View Post
    Hi,

Firstly great forum!

I have a KM-5050 which upon my arrival at site, the buttons would beep when pressed, but not actually do anything. For example press 55 and you'll get 2xbeeps but not 55 copies. So the thing knows you're pressing em, but won't do anything. Tried new FW 2.20c.

Rebooted and they worked fine, but then the printer wouldn't print (not sure if it printed when the buttons were broke as i didn't check). Tried direct connect via crossover from laptop and couldn't ping the copier either. Laptop happy that i am connected to something and appropriate lights on cards flashing to indicate a connection.

Tried the following in this order:

• Reseated everything under control panel including ram chip.
    • Reseated everything on main board at back.(The one with the network/printer ports etc)
    • ordered and fitted main board.
    Upon fitting main board, the machine buttons again no longer work correctly and i can't ping it, suggesting that i'm back to the beginning!

Anyone had similar issues or know what i can try next?

Thanks in advance,
    Mr J. Pokery esq.
    have you set up the control panel in the service mode it is under the alignment

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Falcon3 KM5050 Button/print problem

I'm surprised noone has mentioned this.

The most common problem on all control panels from all manufacturers is to have a button stuck down. An enduser might have pressed really hard on a button, or there may be dirt & skin cells collected under the ridge of the button, or maybe someone just dumped a Coke into the panel then wiped off the excess.

The unique thing about the Falcon III operation panel is that the panel will still beep when more than one button is pressed at the same time.

The diagnosis is the same on all these panels. Press each button several times listening for the little "click" each time. Check each and every button. It comes down to disassembling the panel, and cleaning.

Is it the buttons or the touch panel? If it's the touch panel, another possibility on the Falcon III is the irritating and hard to diagnose ribbon cable problem. The way the panel is assembled the ribbon cable to the back of the operation panel brushes against the plastic case. The way this usually works is you take the panel apart with cables attached. It works. You put it together. It doesn't work. You take it apart. It works. Etc., etc...

Or you move the panel to the Up position. It doesn't work. You lower the panel. It works. Etc...

My answer is to remove the flat ribbon cable. Using a flat ruler make a gradual bend in the cable ~8 mm from the end. When you reassemble the panel it won't press against the plastic case.

I've seen whole panels replaced for this problem. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Jiggerypokery
    Went back today as installing latest firmware after replacing main board seemed to fix it, but it turned out that it was intermittent and was back in yesterday.

Followed everyones advice and after several checks, the problem seems to be the dimm on the op panel. tried a new op panel for testing and it worked, then only replaced dimm and again, worked fine.

However, i thought this last time and ended up back again, so time will tell.

Thanks for all the help