Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

KM-5050 slow faxes

We are placing 250 of these with a new client and have run into a big problem. Faxes are failing at a hight rate. Especially the large faxes. Have noticed that the ones that go through take forever. The Laniers they had previously would send 60 pages in seven minutes and ours are taking five times longer. If we lose this I got a feeling someone is going to get fired just on general principle.

Any one seen a solution for this?

Technician
    KM-5050 slow faxes

Unfortunately, I have seen this problem (KM-4050), but do not have a solution, even after firmware upgrades. A law firm we service sends 70, 80, and 90 page faxes, and the transmission time ranges from 25 to 40 minutes. It was explained to me that the transmission time can rely heavily on the receiving machine, and the amount of memory that the receiving machine has.
    I do find it strange that when I enter the maintenance mode to adjust the fax tx speed, it doesn't list 33.6bps as an option.....the fastest speed listed is 14.4bps. I would think that this may be a solution, but have not found a way to select 33.6 on that model. I am also interested to see what others have to say about this problem.......
    Chris

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    V.34 is the 33.6 kbit/s transfer mode. I've seen it elsewhere in the fax options. Also, when you send a fax you can choose what speed it goes at, and it defaults to 33.6.

Other than that, all I know is that I hate faxes.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar
    You can get 33k6 on a really good faxline. Also the other fax should be able to receive at 33k6. Most of the time they fall back to 31k2 or lower. BTW, why does a customer wants to send a fax of 60+ pages? Isn't it better to suggest the customer to mail this kind of volumes? You can also switch off ECM to save some seconds.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

slow faxes

New firmware version 27....released just a couple of weeks ago speciffically addresses this problem

faxes

sending faxes of over 60 pages is no good period
    sending faxes that large is back in the stone age
    fax rate is based on line noise and fax speed of the other machine

change scan to text and normal may help with speed

have them send via e-mail will take about 60 seconds bam your done.

for slow faxes

Hello,

I also met the same kind of problems.
    To solve them, I make a simulation 600 and 601.
    For we must associate the fax card M KM5050 copier.

This should solve your problems.

(excuse for my poor english)

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I dont know if its viable but what about using i-fax???

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    KM-5050 slow faxes

First thing you should do is go to SIM 608 and change the percentage of errors before a RTN (retrain negative) to 20% which is selection 4. A marginal telephone line will cause the modem to step backwards so you are not ever going to transmit at 33.6K. Setting the number of errors per line to 20% does not appreciable effect the quality, but it does help with the modem stepping down all the time. Turning ECM off as previously suggested also will help, but changing the percentage of errors per line will probably do the trick. If you leave ECM on it will also help as it reduces the number of times that the unit requests a retransmission of a bad line as it increases the tolerance for bad data.

BTW, if you do the math on what your customer told you about sixty pages in seven minutes this works out to 7 seconds per page including overhead (EOP, training,etc.) even with a short-protocol I have never seen this happen under the most ideal conditions. If they are getting their info from the activity reports, most machines only count the actual transmission time and not the overhead of retraining the modems or idle time in-between pages, so I would take their claim with a grain of salt.

Hope this helps and you satisfy the user's needs

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    KM-5050 slow faxes

Turning ECM off seems to fix many fax issues for us.