Field Supervisor 500+ Posts aabarnes1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chexin51 View Post
    I have successfully cleaned 5 or 6 units
    Rule #1
    Solvents are NOT needed to clean the dev unit

1. open up dev unit - 2 gold colored screws
    2. vacumm out all toner - toner clumping can cause copy quality problems
    note: it is highly recommended that you make sure the toner being used
    is original toner from Kyocera - some compatible toners are prone to pale copies and other problems so be forewarned
    4. you can remove the metal doctor blade - 2 black screws
    5. vacumm this blade and then wipe the black magnet on the underside with a Stretch n Dust yellow oil cloth or a dry rag until it is spotless.
    This is the part that creates the gap to the mag roller
    6. note: it is NOT neccessary to remove the mag roll - leave it in the housing
    The easiest way to clean the mag roller is with a Scotch Brite green pad ( the same ones you use to clean a frying pan ) and rotate the mag roller as needed and vacumm any toner particles that are left.
    7. now that everything is spotless put back the doctor blade and push it against the mag roller as you tighten the 2 black screws ( removed in step 4 ). There is no adjustment as long as it is snug against the mag roller.
    8. put back the cover - 2 gold screws and 4 tabs
    9. put dev unit and toner back in machine and run Sim 130 to refill dev unit with toner. It can take 5 to 8 minutes to fill up the empty dev unit

if you're using Kyocera toner your copy quality will be very good.
    Why would you remove a doctor blade, you're askin for fuckin problems.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts aabarnes1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n25an View Post
    So then based on everything I am hearing my dull copies were either

1. caused by not realigning the magnetic cleaning blade correctly
    2. the mag roller not getting the alcohol completely dried out...
    I think the fool that said that didn't get the alcohol dried out.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    km 4030/4035 developing unit (refurbishing it)

I just cleaned up a Falcon II developing unit today. My symptoms were black lines and voids in the feed direction.

First, I took off the top of the unit. You might as well remove the white idler gear off the front. It will fall off while you're working. I also removed the doctor blade. The magnet in the blade pulls it up tight to the roller and the ends hit metal stops at the developing roller bearings. There is no adjustment.
    Second, I dumped as much toner as possible, then vacuumed out the rest.
    Third, I cleaned the roller with roller rejuvenator, then wiped it down with alcohol. I also cleaned the doctor blade (now much cleaner, lots of scrubbing).
    Fourth, I reinstalled the doctor blade, white gear, and poured in the remaining toner. Then reinstalled the top cover.
    Fifth, I reinstalled the developing unit & ran drum refresh twice. Not because the drum needed polishing, but because that gets me about 10 minutes of developing agitation.
    Sixth, I removed the developing unit and dry-wiped the entire surface of the developing roller to clear up some pretty heavy mottling. At this final stage you must only rotate the developing cylinder downward, so you don't cause any additional mottling. As you wipe, you'll see the roller get a nice thin translucent coating of toner.

The resulting prints are as good as new. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I just cleaned up a Falcon II developing unit today. My symptoms were black lines and voids in the feed direction.

First, I took off the top of the unit. You might as well remove the white idler gear off the front. It will fall off while you're working. I also removed the doctor blade. The magnet in the blade pulls it up tight to the roller and the ends hit metal stops at the developing roller bearings. There is no adjustment.
    Second, I dumped as much toner as possible, then vacuumed out the rest.
    Third, I cleaned the roller with roller rejuvenator, then wiped it down with alcohol. I also cleaned the doctor blade (now much cleaner, lots of scrubbing).
    Fourth, I reinstalled the doctor blade, white gear, and poured in the remaining toner. Then reinstalled the top cover.
    Fifth, I reinstalled the developing unit & ran drum refresh twice. Not because the drum needed polishing, but because that gets me about 10 minutes of developing agitation.
    Sixth, I removed the developing unit and dry-wiped the entire surface of the developing roller to clear up some pretty heavy mottling. At this final stage you must only rotate the developing cylinder downward, so you don't cause any additional mottling. As you wipe, you'll see the roller get a nice thin translucent coating of toner.

The resulting prints are as good as new. =^..^=
    so in step 1 you removed the white roller, top cover and doctor blade
    in step 2 you emptied the developer of toner and vacuumed what you couldn't pour out.
    in step 3 with roller still in slot you cleaned doctor blade which has been screwed out... you clean roller which has not been uninstalled
    in step 4 you reinstalled the doctor blade the white gear and the remaining toner...
    ok what toner??? this sounds like a starter of some kind...
    in step 5 you reinstalled the developing unit and ran 2 drum refreshes
    in step 6 you got mottling... so you uninstalled developing unit...took of top and white roller and rotated developing roller clockwise or counterclockwise... or away from or towards... rotating down is relative??? I am thinking counter clockwise
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too

The Great Gazoo 250+ Posts kyoceradude's Avatar
    so in step 1 you removed the white roller, top cover and doctor blade
    in step 2 you emptied the developer of toner and vacuumed what you couldn't pour out.
    in step 3 with roller still in slot you cleaned doctor blade which has been screwed out... you clean roller which has not been uninstalled
    in step 4 you reinstalled the doctor blade the white gear and the remaining toner...
    in step 5 you reinstalled the developing unit and ran 2 drum refreshes
    in step 6 you got mottling... so you uninstalled developing unit...took of top and white roller and rotated developing roller clockwise or counterclockwise... or away from or towards... rotating down is relative??? I am thinking counter clockwise
    OUI!
    My mission here on Earth is to help all you Dum-Dums!

so in step 4 you reinstalled the doctor blade the white gear and the remaining toner...
    Nope! It's just the toner I dumped out. I could throw it away, but why?

[/QUOTE]in step 6 you got mottling... so you uninstalled developing unit...took of top and white roller and rotated developing roller clockwise or counterclockwise... or away from or towards... rotating down is relative??? I am thinking counter clockwise[/QUOTE]

I guess it would be clockwise as viewed from developing unit rear. If you've been around a few developing units, you'll know that the developing roller should be turned in the direction that the doctor blade levels off the toner on the roller, and dumps the excess inside the unit. If you turn it the wrong way it will dump in your shoes.

So my advice is turn the developing roller in one direction, and then look at your shoes. If there's no toner on your shoes you're turning in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Nope! It's just the toner I dumped out. I could throw it away, but why?

in step 6 you got mottling... so you uninstalled developing unit...took of top and white roller and rotated developing roller clockwise or counterclockwise... or away from or towards... rotating down is relative??? I am thinking counter clockwise[/QUOTE]

I guess it would be clockwise as viewed from developing unit rear. If you've been around a few developing units, you'll know that the developing roller should be turned in the direction that the doctor blade levels off the toner on the roller, and dumps the excess inside the unit. If you turn it the wrong way it will dump in your shoes.

So my advice is turn the developing roller in one direction, and then look at your shoes. If there's no toner on your shoes you're turning in the right direction.[/QUOTE]

thanks a million... just wanted to clear up some things...

here is what I have been doing and it works.... goto homedepot and get 3m proffessional scour pads (heavy duty...) cut a small square... take out the developer.... don't open anything... just turn mag roller via the gear... then use the small square of scour padd and rub along the length of the roller... turn.... rub.... turn.... rub.... until.... the roller looks ok..... then put it in a machine.... turn it on... and check results.... this has been used to get rid of white spots on developer roller and lines on developer roller... keep in mind that if the marks on the mag roller are very deep this might not work... becuase the roller is shot... but nine times out of ten... it will...

final note:

conclusive steps...

take top off developer unit...

empty out the toner...

vacuum out till empty

you do not need to remove the cleaning blade...

just make sure you are using the vacuum atttachment which is a brush...

spin the magnetic blade and vacuum until it is shiny and new...

then take a clean and dry piece of cloth and rub until the marks come out...

if your finger touches the roller... you need to clean that spot off with a dry cloth... it will leave a wierd mark on copies...

if after rubbing you still have marks that will not come out... try scotch brite pads... they will leave a funny scratch on the developing unit but will not affect copy quality...

if youhave deep scratches in your magnetic roller... its shot...

if you get the mag roller clean...

there is no toner....

then your next step is to put the unit back together...

stick it in the copier

do a developer refresh

and you are done...

You're just now finishing that call? =^..^=