Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Snowlock

Kyocera KM 5230 paper jam help

Hi, everyone!

My church has a Kyocera KM 5230 copier that we use to photocopy our church bulletins and church info. About a month ago, our church secretary had a paper jam. She completely cleared the jam, but the machine still registers a paper jam in the same tray/paper feeding area.

We've gone back and made sure there were no small pieces of paper stuck anywhere in the machine (both turning the paper advance knob as well as using a small pressurized "air gun".) I've turned it off and on many times trying to clear the paper jam from the machine's memory, but it always reappears on start-up. I have not yet tried unplugging the machine to see if that will reset it, however. I've downloaded the KM 5230 manual online (pdf) and followed all the directions listed for clearing a paper jam, but so far, no luck!

Any help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated! We are a small church, and our service contract has ended. Currently, our church secretary has to make the necessary photocopies at Kinko's--sometimes at her expense until the church is able to reimburse her for the fees. If someone has any idea of the nature of the problem, or how to reset the copier to recognize a clear paper path, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
    Snowlock

Dukem

Jam code #?

What was the original jam code #? If it was running a church bulletin I assume it was being duplexed (two sided). I would check the reverse section where it exits into the ADU (duplexer), paper can get torn into a small 'V' shaped piece and will wrap around the rev. unit exit switch. My next guess would be the secret panel under the ADU. Just pull out the ADU and unscrew the two green thumbscrews under the left side of the ADU and it will drop down allowing access. This is an area that sales personel don't seem to show the Key-Op and the Key-Op can't find it in the Operation Guide.

The Great Gazoo 250+ Posts kyoceradude's Avatar
    It's kind of hard not knowing the jam code. Is it in the copier or it could be showing a jam in the document feeder? If its in the feeder the small switch on the left side could be bent or knocked out of position, from pulling the paper backward. Need additional info.
    My mission here on Earth is to help all you Dum-Dums!

Snowlock
    Hey!

Thanks for the quick replies--I really appreciate it. I don't have the jam code at the moment, but I will see if I can get it for you and post it on this same thread in the next 2-3 days (I'm not sure if the church secretary is there on Fridays, but I can find out.)

It _is_ being duplexed (sorry, I forgot that detail) and we checked the duplexer unit as well. We did not, however, unscrew any of the machine's compartments--so that is a definite possibilty. I happen to be off this week, so I will stop by again (if she's there) and I'll see if I can take a look at the machine again for both the code and to look into the compartment. I'll post what I find out.

Thanks!
    Snowlock

Technician
    If the machine jammed on duplex copy, theere would be paper through out the machine. When users remove paper jams they have a tendency to break swithces in the paper path. One of them is located under the drum. It should read jam 40 in the machine. Also if the machine has been powered down it will read jam 00. That is a jam in the machine at power up.

iggynerd

5230 Jams

One thing I've found specially on the Exit Section and the Vertical Conveying Section is that the Photo Sensor switches tend to get out of their places, usually when the paper jam is cleared by pulling the paper backwards, if that is the case, you should be able to reset the switch, back into its housing. (when the paper is pulled backwards, tends to pull the photo sensor's arm, which makes it look like there is paper there, if the arm is not broken you should be able to re-seat it back into the housing and get going.)

Expert on The Obsolete 100+ Posts leroyal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iggynerd View Post
    One thing I've found specially on the Exit Section and the Vertical Conveying Section is that the Photo Sensor switches tend to get out of their places, usually when the paper jam is cleared by pulling the paper backwards, if that is the case, you should be able to reset the switch, back into its housing. (when the paper is pulled backwards, tends to pull the photo sensor's arm, which makes it look like there is paper there, if the arm is not broken you should be able to re-seat it back into the housing and get going.)
    X2, Mita Copiers don't lie.

Chronus102
    another thing, when the machine jams up does the paper get wrinkled (as if it seems to have something obstructing the paper path) or does it just stop in action like its been frozen in place? if it is the later 2 of the problems i'd check the switches in the area and make sure they are beeing triggered, and if its the first of the two then i would check for anything that might be obstrucing the paper path.