Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

Kyocera-Mita KM2530/4035 Toner Cartridges

I know from reading responses that most don't recommend generic toner. So this question may be for those who do use generic toner unless this problem is found in all of these toner cartridges. I just installed two cartridges in two separate copiers and have been called back on both copiers with problems related to the toner cartridges binding up. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any help appreciated, thank you.

Technician

Always OEM but now I am starting to change

For 30 years I have always stayed with OEM Toners, but the world is changing and I have tried some good generic toners that have worked very well. I have been using some generic color toners in the Konica color machines and the print quality and performance is pretty good.

I have received samples of toner from a source that claims to make Kyocera toner In Japan. I have yet to use it but the packaging is identical, waste bottles are identical and about a 30% savings. I am thinking about using it in 4+ year old machines.

As always, there is some very bad generic toner on the market also. Ask for samples and watch for additional service issues.

Technician

The good and the bad

The good news - some compatibles work good - good soilds, great price .
    The bad news -
    The problem is to find a supplier with the good ones. We gave up on the Katun ones because they gave pale copies ( poor solids ). Eventually we found one Densigraphix but its a Canadian manufactuer ( we're in Canada so all is good for us ).

Sometimes compatible toner can clump in the Developer housing and you have to open the dev housing and vacumm out the clumps. There can be other issues with toner lines on the mag roller but this can be cleaned off.
    I have previously posted a reply for this problem. There can be other issues with premature wear to the Drum and Fuser but I haven't experienced this personally. So the bottom line is you can save a lot but you can expect to spend some of this new found profit in other consumables. The drums can fail normally ( with original toner ) at 300K
    and the Fusers at 250K so whats the difference. The bottom line is to find a toner that gives good black solids.

Technician
    Kyocera-Mita KM2530/4035 Toner Cartridges

Shake the toner ctg. before installation. I have had 2 instances of customers storing the box on its end for several weeks; upon installation, all the toner was in one half of the housing, causing binding within the ctg, and toner motor gear noise (quite loud!).
    The other odd thing I found was the joint gear at the back of the toner ctg cavity not sliding smoothly back & forth, resulting in the spring loaded joint gear not contacting the gear on the rear of the toner ctg housing. A bit of grease on the joint gear shaft corrected this.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I have had this even with the Kyoceras in a high humidity low volume accounts. I just go in and bang the heck out of the cartridge or just simply replace. If you are using Generic good luck, it is a four letter word with me.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    I don't know if all generics are the same, but I can tell that with the particular Kyocera models you're taking about, stay away from Katun and Polek & Polek toner. You would probably be better off running sand through your machine than that stuff...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Got to play the game

It's true! There are some after market toner cartridges that do work on these machines!! But it is a hit and miss kind of thing. As you are finding out, you might get one to work with the machine, and then you get a shipment of toner that wont work. Kyocera will only back up thier own products. If you are thinking of using these aftermarket toners on a new machine, you are asking for a mess. Forget about the warentee and you are on your own for parts replacement.

On the other hand I have had OEM toner fail also. i have tried to get a refund for these failed toners and had quite a bit of opposition. They want to know the copy count of the machine before you put it in and when it failed. We now have a spot on our service sheets for the tech to fill in this information. But still its like pulling out teeth getting the manufactor to refund anything on these toners. They kind of count on this and most times it just isnt worth the time to jump through all the hoops to get the refunds.

So your darn if you do and your darn if you dont

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts peterepeat's Avatar
    One other thing to mention.....
    Besides the common problems with generic toners individually, it will be compounded if you try to switch back&forth between different generics. Most companies will say their generic toner will work with the oem in the machine but, I promise you, if you mix 2 different compatibles, you will regret it.
    Learned this the hard way....and so did my purchasing manager.