Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Prescribe help

Technician

Prescribe help

Hi all,

I have a customer printing a special kind of labels from AS400 and need to move the left margin over about 2 inches to print on the labels correctly. I think I can do a "start of job string" on one of the logical ports, but don't know how to set up the command. Maybe something like :
    Start of job string: !R! UNIT C; SLM 8; EXIT;
    End of job string: !R! RES; EXIT;
    but this doesn't seem to work. Any ideas on how to set this up?
    I know that i can do:
    !R! FRPO L3,02; EXIT;
    !R! FRPO L4,10; EXIT;
    and that prints them correctly, but everything else (from Windows) is shifted over because L3 and L4 changes the default margins. If I could do it as needed with prescribe, that would be great.
    Thanks

Rick

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts peterepeat's Avatar
    There's a couple different ways I've done this.
    You can set up a seperate logical printer on the as400 that prints to the same IP address but different logical port (9101, 9102, etc) that has the frpo in the job string. They would only use this printer to print the label job. This is by far the easiest way.
    The other is to write a filter program that pulls the default commands from the PJL job header and replaces with prescribe commands. The problem with the way the Kyo "job string header" is done is that the job sent can overwrite what you just "prescribed". So what happens is you say left margin +10 but then the job comes in afterwards & says margin default-1. The only way to avoid this is to filter out the incoming margin command.

Technician
    Thanks Peterepeat, I will have to pass that info along to their AS400 guy. I understand the first option, but the second one flew over my head about the filter. Either way, it looks like it will have to be done at the AS400 level. I was hoping that I could just do something at the machine level because we have several hundred printers that we are installing.

Technician
    I tried what you suggested but I think I have something wrong. On port 9100, since that's the port that AS400 uses, i set it up like this:
    Start of job string: !R! FRPO L3,02;L4,10; EXIT;
    End of job string: !R! FRPO L3,00;L4,44; EXIT; (back to default)
    It's almost like they cancel each other out. If I leave off the ending string, it does shift the margin for AS400 but stays that way. when someone prints a windows job, the margins are wrong, so i set up windows printing on port 9101 like this:
    Start of job string: !R! FRPO L3,00;L4,44; EXIT; (default values)
    with a blank ending string.
    This actually works, but it takes 2 prints before it shifts. for example: i send AS400 job - first page wrong, second page perfect and any page after that from 400 is good. Send A windows print - first page no good, second and all others are good until 400 job comes across.
    I think I just about have it. maybe it's my ending string that's wrong.
    Thanks so much for your help.

Rick

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts peterepeat's Avatar
    I don't have the book handy for the correct command/syntax, but I think you're on the right track.