Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

analog versus digital

whenever I needed to make adjustments for lighter or darker copies on the old analog copiers I never had a problem. Is there something different with the digital??? I never worked on Ricoh analog but do service Ricoh digital and have no problem adjusting for either darker or lighter copies.
    Thanks for any help!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    analog versus digital

I'd have to say that there is only one class of machines that are difficult to set density. Regardless of manufacturer, the ASi drum in combination with the automatic drum potential sensor systems are very stable, but can be difficult to adjust the quality. Canon and Kyocera Mita use this combination, maybe others that I don't know.

Most analog machines allowed adjustment of main charge, developer bias, or exposure lamp intensity (or some combination of the three) to achieve the desired density.

Some digitals are not as clear about what you're adjusting. For example "Gamma" on Sharp products might be developer bias. I don't know. Since most digitals now use Xenon or Fluorescent lamps adjustment of the exposure lamp intensity is not always an option.

Well that's some sort of an answer... =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    analog versus digital

I concur, Blackcat. While digital copiers work better & have less problems, they also have less adjustments (at least ones that I would mess with).. With analog, I understood the way everything worked in conjunction & could compensate for a variety of problems to extend the life of parts or at least get by untill the part came in. I do love the design of the mid size digital copiers though. Made with a tech in mind. (the ones I work on) I've had some competitors customers call with other types of copiers & they just weren't very easy to repair & their consumables were inefficient.

The difference is analog exp was adjusted with lamp intensity, and the digital (at least the ones I work on) exp is actually done with dev bias.