Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: FS1118MFP

FS1118MFP

I have a lot of FS1118MFP's in the field printing garbage. Normally it's just 1 or 2 lines of random charatcers per page and can at times be almost 3 reems of paper. These machines will start printing this without any of the users sending a print job to the machine.

In the past I had this problem, and i received some info that this is because of a virus called the Bug Bear virus and it affects many brands of machines. I'm not sure if i should consider this explanation, because I do repairs on many brands from HP, Canon, Bizhub, Kyocera, all the way to Samsung and i've only ever had this problem with the FS1118. Also, i was given a utility that specifically scans for and disinfects this virus, but to date i haven't had this utility detect this virus on any of the hundreds of computers that I've scanned for it. On top of this i have some machines with the same problem that are used as copiers only and not connected to a PC or network in any way that would allow a virus to affect the machine.

Has anybody ever had this problem or know what the problem and/or solution is?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts randula7's Avatar
    I had this problem random charatcers with Ricoh af1018 its from network switch and I replace network switch
    Also with one machine FS1118mfp used as copier and fax horizontal lines after some copies
    thear was problem with engine EEPROM

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    FS1118MFP

To me, it sounds like a PostScript error. In plain language, the print driver is sending the print job in a language the printer is not set up to understand. It's called "emulation" and you need to check the emulation in the print driver on the device settings page, there is a button labelled KPDL. You'll get the best results from PCL XL. Also, at the printers web interface you'll need to go to the printer tab, set emulation to Auto, so the machine will be able to determine the most appropriate language to process the job with. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Thx, but I'm fully aware of PostScript errors and conflicting "Emulations", etc. In fact, "In plain language" that was the first thing that I've checked. I've also done the firmware upgrade on both the machine and the fax system, deleted and re-installed drivers with later versions (on those that were linked and not stand-alone), scanned the computers for the abovementioned BugBear Virus; We've even replaced a main PCB or two.... and still. I wouldn't have asked if i haven't covered my bases first. Like you say "I enjoy helping those that are willing to help themselves". Nonetheless, thanks for your reply.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    I had this same issue on one of the older MFPs a few years ago. It turned out to be a corrupted share just churning out garbage. (The customer was running their printer server on their BDC and had about 50+ printers shared on this one server). Probably not your issue, though. You'll probably need some black candles, a bottle of rum and a live chicken...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Technician
    I'm sure you've probably thought of this but it sure sounds like a print job that got sent to the 1128 that was intended for a Sharp or some other model printer. Maybe a conflicting IP?

Try to disable NetBEUI protocol.

To Update you guys on the progress of this problem. If you read my initial post, you'll see some of what I've tried so far.

I've now partnered up with one of my customers who is the IT admin looking after a network with about 500 PC's connected to it, and have several of the FS1118MFP's with this problem. He's scanned several of the computers with various Bug Bear virus scanners but hasn't found anything as yet. All users were initially linked directly to each 1118 in their department via a local driver installation pointing to a TCP/IP Port. This direct connection has now been changed so that everybody prints via a server. This ran fine for a day or two but then the probme appeared again.

What we've done now, is we've enabled IP Filters on all of the devices, allowing only print jobs from the server's IP. So far so good. Will keep you guys updated if we find anything. Even though it seems the IP filter route is working, its not a solution but merely a workaround, and I want a solution.

Also, on another site, the Bug Bear scan didn't pickup anything on the computers, but i did manage to find a suspicious entry in the scheduled tasks that is nameless. Access to view what the task is supposed to do is denied, but I've deleted the tasks, and so far no more problems. Maybe this is something to check if any of you have this problem

wellington
    just disable the NetBEUI protocol on COMMAND CENTER