Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Image moves up (towards rear of printer)

Hey all,

I am working on a copystar 4030. The complaints were that the image is being moved off the page and when it hole punches the holes are not always in the same spot.

Finally, I was able to get the holes to not line up when it punched the paper. Found out this was b/c the guide in the tray 2 would work themselves loose so that the paper was moving towards the rear of the device. Causing the holes to punch lower in the paper.

Now that I resolved that I have noticed that the image is moving up on the page about 1/4 inch or so. The image is moving from Front to Rear. It does not matter what tray you print from the image will move slightly to the rear of the printer. Also can copy from glass or ADF and it does the same.

I have replaced the rollers in the trays and I know the guides are secure. I have also tried to adjust the center line with no good success. I can't determine if the image is being put on the drum towards the rear of the device or if the paper is moving still.

If the paper is still moving what would be the cause of that? Registration roller? I think if its not being put to the drum right it would be a board or software issue?

Has anyone ran into this before on another type of copier? I might think the image moving from front to rear could be similar in another machine. Any help or insight were to go next would be apprecciated.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    By front to rear you mean that the center line is shifting like it's too far to the left or right? Is it constantly moving left only or right only or both? How are the lead and trail edges? Which direction is the paper? 11 x 8.5 or 8.5 x 11? Does this occur with other paper sizes such as Legal and Ledger? Does this occur only when punching? What about to the regular output tray or to the finisher without punching or stapling? Sorry for answering your question with a billion questions, but they would really help. The only problem I have seen with registration rollers is skewing, not image shifting if that helps.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Image moves up (towards rear of printer)

I've seen problems with the vertical feed rollers & idlers on Falcon III machines. The centerline does vary a little during these occasions, but the main issue is jamming (J10, I think). Like the Voyager, I have added an additional idler roller spring to each shaft, so there are two instead of the original one per shaft. Maybe the vertical feed door isn't closing completely, or latching completely.

I certainly hope that it is a paper issue. If it's about the image processor inaccurately placing the image on the paper, you might have a laser problem. I'm not sure where I would begin... =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ok, no problem on the questions I will try my best to answer the questions. Copiers are still fairly new to me.

By front to rear you mean that the center line is shifting like it's too far to the left or right? yes, when I copy in landscape mode. When the leading edge is on the 8.5 side. When I copy portrait and the leading edge is the long edge 11 it moves the image up on the page. So the image moves on the center line from the front of the device towards the rear.

Is it constantly moving left only or right only or both? With this it moves both ways but consistent. If I copy to the standard bin it moves down on the page. So the image moves from the centerline from the front of the device to the rear. If I send it to the sorter/finisher it is moving up on the page. So the center line moves from the rear to the front. This seems to be consistent, but it took me 300+ pages to duplicate the hole punch issue I was having before.

How are the lead and trail edges? These appear to be all correct. When copying portrait all vertical lines (lines running left to right of device) line up.

Which direction is the paper? 11 x 8.5 or 8.5 x 11? Tray 1 & 2 are setup as 11 x 8.5. Tray 3 is legal and tray 4 is set to 8.5 x 11. Primary use is 11 x 8.5 from the top 2 trays. I did try to copy in landscape mode and the image still shifted from the front of the device to the rear. So in this case the image moved to the right due to orientation of the copy. Hope I described it enough to make sense.

Does this occur with other paper sizes such as Legal and Ledger? Did not try legal paper. I will be back out there Tuesday and will be trying to adjust the centerline and do a firmware upgrade.

Does this occur only when punching? No image shifts even when you don't hole punch

What about to the regular output tray or to the finisher without punching or stapling? When it goes to the regular output tray the image moves down on the page so it appears it shifts from the rear of the device towards the front. When it goes to sorter it moves in opposite direction regardless of functions its performing.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Based on your answers, this sounds like the center line is off. I never realized it, but maybe the image is getting rotated 180 when choosing a different output. But this sounds consistent. Go through the proper steps to make sure the center line is correct. Do you have the service manual, because it tells you which order to go. Generally, it goes lsu out, table center, then df center or 34, 67, 72. Easiest way that I do is I when I print out an example page I fold it in the center. That way I can gauge which side I need to compensate. If you don't have the SM, let me know, I'll send it to you.