Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Kyocera KMC3232E

Hi i looked at a kmc3232e which someone has replaced the DR820 (the colour drive unit) because of a broken gear, but since then it will only print magenta very lightly and not cyan at all, black and yellow are both ok. I have checked the trans belt, devs & image units in another machine & they're all ok. I've stripped the unit back down and reinstalled it checking the high voltage pwb 1 (all the springs are ok and i've checked the continuity) checked the connections on the engine board, manually spun all the motors and the dev's, image units all move, watched the motors while when printing and everything moves as it should. I've even looked through the rear of the printer after installing the trans belt to make sure it is making contact to hv pwb 1. I've already performed drum refresh etc and checked toner levels in the maintenance mode. I'm getting no errors and it sound as it should, it just will not print cyan and you can bearly see the magenta. I'm guessing this is related to hv transfer somewhere........any ideas greatly appreciated.
    Regards

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera KMC3232E

What kind of readings were you getting from U131? What do the U089 gray test patterns looks like?

There are three main possibilites in my mind.
    1) toner density/developing
    2) dirty primary charge rollers. If you don't have new ones you can switch them around between drum units for diagnostic purposes.
    3) And the worst possibility. You had to take a lot of stuff off to get a color developing drive pack installed. Twice! There are literally hundreds of connectors that have to be properly seated during reassembly. Also the main wire harness is grouped into three neat bundles: high voltage, AC and low voltage. If the first two possibilities don't help I would go through the entire installation one more time. I would pay special attention to which wires are grouped together in the main loom. If you want it, I made myself a checklist to make sure everything gets reinstalled, everything gets plugged in, and everything gets routed properly through the looms. The list take a lot of the brain busting out of a big task. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician
    Thanks for the quick reply Blackcat, i have pretty much ruled out the first two, i think there's possibly a broken or disconnected wire somewhere but have been unable to find anything as yet even after 12 hours of looking. I would be very greatful for your check list if possible....

Technician
    U131 was ok i think it was 116 for all (i'll have to look for the printout) , U89 the color belt you can bearly see the magenta the other tests are fine

Technician
    Sorry U89 when printing magenta on any test it was very light and cyan was completely missing

Kyocera KMC3232E

Another 4 hours down the tubes. Good luck finding that loose connector/pinched wire. =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files

Technician
    After stripping the machine back down and checking the wiring loom, i finally found a screw behind the main hvps. Replaced the part and all's good.

Kyocera KMC3232E

Wow, that was painful. I'll bet you were very happy to finally find something. Plus, the HVPS probably wasn't removed initially. A rogue screw simply fell behind it.

I have a funny story about that. It was a Mita DC-2254, and I had worked on the op panel. I dropped one of those teeny M2 screws that secure the op panel and couldn't find it. Well 18 months later I got a call for black copies. For 18 months that screw sat on top of a live heat sink on the lamp regulator PWB. I don't know what caused it roll off, but it welded itself from that heat sink to the grounded board mounting (and fried the lamp regulator, of course). I hate leaving lost screws behind.

Congratulations on a tough fix. =^..^=