Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    KyoceraMita KM-2560 fax sys (M), gone nuts.

The customer tells me they are getting "No Response" or busy all the time, when transmitting.

Actually once in a while it does transmit out, but not in any consistent way. Reception works fine.

If you turn the monitor all the way up and watch the status screen, first you hear the fax relay click, then the status monitor briefly displays "Sending" (1 second or less, just a flicker), it then goes to "Waiting". The phone number is not dialled, and there is no dial tone during this brief event, no sound from the line monitor. Each time the prescribed 3 minutes has passed, the redial happens in the same identical way, still no dial tone or dialling. After the 5 redials I get the NG report (no surprise there). No errors recorded.

Every once in a while the machine actually dials the number and connects, then sends the fax. It's usually not on the first try. If there are multiple addresses, they all complete transmission.

I have tried a different fax sys (M), initialized U600, reloaded v. 2.45 firmware, tried various combinations of features (i.e. ECM-Off, JBIG-OFF, initial Tx speed-9600, spaces in the phone #, etc.). The fax line is connected to the correct port on the card. As a stop-gap, I've taught the customer how to manual dial, which does work every time.

I've used up all the good ideas, and all that's left are the bad ones. How about image memory? If the image was stored corrupt and wouldn't send from memory on the first try, then why would it work the second try? There's always the catch-all: main PWB.

Have you seen anything like this? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Is it a dedicated analogue phone line? Digital will create all kinds of problems, believe me. I always have customers call the phone company and have the line checked. Also, seems simple but check the phone cord to the wall. I carry a handset and plug it into the line and see how it sounds.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

If you want the service manual, just email me and I'll send it along at no charge.

Paul

Dave, I did try a different phone line with my handset, directly to the wall. There isn't any noticable static (of course that doesn't mean anything), but there wasn't any obvious line problems. It does dial properly to the fax line, and another analog line within reach. There is some sort of PBx in the building, but it picks up pretty quick. That's why I tried the pauses.

Paul, Thanks for the offer, but I've already got that one. Maybe next time.

I've rounded up an image memory chip (512MB) and new fax sys (M)2 to try. The fax sys (M)2 uses different firmware..., mabe I'll try to downgrade to v. 2.40

Thank for your comments. =^..^=

Technician
    Did you try turning off dialtone detection? I've run into a few PBXes where the fax board refused to recognize their tone as a dial tone, and would assume the line was busy every time. I have seen this, I usually end up playing with the settings in U660 until I find the magic combination.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Have you printed out U670 Protocol List?

Protocol List is like a network dump of the last fax connection. It might tell you what step fails. If you have never tried to decipher it, I would print one from a working Kyocera fax to compare. The LDC-650 service manual has a decent description of some of the codes.

The Action List is pretty cool too, but I doubt it would help here.

At this point, since it sounds like something weird with the machine, I'd test out an 1820 or 1128, and then try formatting the hard drive, maybe a U020, etc. after you try downgrading firmware. I'm not sure how much the fax system uses the hard drive and main machine settings though.

My biggest horror story with fax was on a KM-3060 where something else on the line made a click every 20-30 seconds. I think it's a cursed model

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    Did you try turning off dialtone detection? I've run into a few PBXes where the fax board refused to recognize their tone as a dial tone, and would assume the line was busy every time. I have seen this, I usually end up playing with the settings in U660 until I find the magic combination.
    You were dead-on, SwampYankee.
    The image memory and fax sys (M)2 didn't make any difference. Yesterday I had been fishing around in the U6xx simulations hoping to trip over something useful, and had not changed them back. So I changed back to default U630: Tx Echo, U631: CED freq, etc.

Out of curiosity, I browsed all the way up to U660: Set Calls, Exchange, changed from PSTN to PBx. Then it worked perfectly. Just to be sure, I changed just the one setting back/forth several times.

I only wish I'd seen your post before spending time with the memory. Thanks! =^..^=

Technician
    Cool, glad that helped!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: KyoceraMita KM-2560 fax sys (M), gone nuts.

I am so glad I found this post! I had the same problem with a Kyocera 3060. I tried multiple fax boards, firmware. . I hooked up a handset and could make calls out/in. The phone company came out and said there was no problem with the line. I was about ready to take out another machine. I went yesterday and changed the exchange from PSTN to PBX. The fax started working again. Hopefully there are no more fax problems with the machine.

Re: KyoceraMita KM-2560 fax sys (M), gone nuts.

Congratulations. That was a particularly interesting installation. The business owner had terminated his own Cat5 connections, and connected all the wires ... just not in any consistent way. Only one of the runs actually connected. =^..^=