Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    PostScript Errors

PostScript Errors

So it's not that uncommon to get a few PostScript errors occasionally on a large network. But I'm starting to see a pattern.

These are all Kyocera MFPs. There are Stratos, Falcon III, Harriers, and VoyagerE. Only on the half-dozen Stratos machines we're getting several PostScript error print jobs. These are not just a nuisance page or two. Were talking about 500 to 600 pages of smiley faces, flowers, every ASCII character you've ever seen, and many you haven't, one line of code per page, sometimes horizontal, sometimes vertical.

So I've done a data capture. Yes the print jobs are corrupt. I've sent the captures to three different machines, always with the same effect. It's not always the same application, sometimes Word, sometimes Excel, sometimes Adobe. Never Outlook. From several different PCs, several different senders.

The drivers have been re-loaded. They are set to PCLXL emulation. The machines are set to Auto, so they should accept any valid language. The capture show obviously corrupt print jobs.

Is this a server issue, application issue, a possible bug in KX driver v. 5.1.1405, or something else? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Maybe the driver is corrupted at the server.

This happens a lot when the IT person uses the "new driver" function to update the drivers on the server. What happens is that you get bits and pieces of the old driver, mixed with parts of the new. Frequently they don't play nice together.

I am assuming the users are connecting using "Point and Print" to install the drivers.

Try my favorite trick: You can download a free printer uninstaller from Kyocera Mita. (It will be in the "print utilities" section on almost any of their printers or MFPs - quite easy to find.)

Despite the fact that it comes from a specific vendor, it will work equally well with all drivers. It does not install anything, which is always nice. You will, though, need to reboot before you can install any other drivers.

Go to your most offending workstation, and uninstall the offending drivers. Then install your drivers locally on the workstation locally (point to a standard IP port), and see if the problem persists.

If it goes away, you can (have the IT person) run the same utility on the server, and reinstall the drivers afterward.

About a month ago,we had a 12 machine Ricoh installation at an account, and they were getting similar results. Using the utility on the Windows 2003 print server did the trick nicely.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

PostScript Errors

Thanks Ken. They are using various versions of the driver, only updated when a problem occurs.

My main concern was that it would disable printing for 2500 endusers, but from your description, I don't think that would be the case. The driver on the server is only there as a source, to be copied to the endusers PC as needed. So theoretically, the driver on the server could be completely uninstalled after hours and replacement drivers installed for ~60 machines.

Does the same procedure have to happen at each workstation also? This is where it will get tedious. To get clean versions of the driver each PC may have to go through the same procedure. Maybe only for the (6) Stratos machines, (50) endusers?

=^..^=

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    PostScript Errors

I believe you could write a VB script to update all the PC's at next logon relatively easily. The end users would never know it was done.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I agree with Tony; it wouldn't be too hard to do through a login script.

I would still, though, visit a few of the most troubled (or most complaining) users, and see if my suggestion works.

If it does, at least you (and possibly more importantly, the IT), will know what needs to be done.

One other thing: Sometimes, you can delete a driver by doing a Right-Click and Delete, then going to "Server Properties" in the printers window, and deleting the driver which corresponds to your printer.

While not as effective as the tool, it goes deeper than simply Right-Clicking and deleting. "Right-Click" and "Delete" only removes access to the printer; it doesn't delete any files or registry entries - contrary to what seems to be popular belief.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    PostScript Errors

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    One other thing: Sometimes, you can delete a driver by doing a Right-Click and Delete, then going to "Server Properties" in the printers window, and deleting the driver which corresponds to your printer.

While not as effective as the tool, it goes deeper than simply Right-Clicking and deleting. "Right-Click" and "Delete" only removes access to the printer; it doesn't delete any files or registry entries - contrary to what seems to be popular belief.
    You need to delete them this way if you get print spoolers that stop. It's corrupt drivers that crash the spooler & deleting the driver, not just the printer & reinstalling is the only way to fix it.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

PostScript Errors

I've passed this along to IT. This isn't the first time that server problems have necessitated re-loading several drivers.

I'll let you know how it goes. =^..^=

PostScript Errors

IT says "No improvement." I'm going to call the hotline, just for kicks.

Now that all those old drivers are cleaned off I hate to re-introduce them, but maybe downgrading the driver to v. 5.0.1930 is the answer (at least for the couple of CS-2560s). =^..^=

The hotline gave me the usual #*&^@@%*. Firmware level? (like firmware could make the capture corrupt, and on three different machines) Driver level? Wrong emulation? (Geez, I never would have thought of that... are you even listening to me?) =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 09-21-2010 at 03:58 PM.

PostScript Errors

I went on-site today and went through it all personally. No re-occurrences today.

One of the endusers pointed out that on past occasions he has sent the print job only once but has gotten both the PostScript error print and the actual desired print!
    So that would mean that there were two iterations of that print job: the corrupt one and the clean one. This makes absolutely no sense to me. =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts kyocera.team's Avatar
    i face this problem ,what i did i turn off the NETBIEU,i hope its work