Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Copystar 4030

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Copystar 4030

Need some help and advice. Working on the above device with 2 seperate issues.

The end users say that sometimes the pages come out black or really dirty and copy is unable to be read. I was unable to duplicate this while out on the call. I did though clean the device and also cleaned the charge unit really well as it looked like it had toner on it. As per the SM (4035, don't have the 4030 but thought it would be close) it looks to be charge unit related and than it goes into PCB's. Also there is little specks on the print out coming from the drum unit but users don't want to replace drum yet as its not bad. If this problem comes back I was thinking starting with the Drum and charge unit first before getting into boards? Has anyone seen this before or other suggestions to check?

Second issue is the device jams when duplexing. Not everytime but enough to duplicate the problem. I only have the service manual for the 4035 as mentioned, is there a seperate manual just for the duplex unit (more than what is in the copier SM)? The paper stops prior to re-entering the device below the drum after printing the first side. When it jams it appears to be a timing issue b/c its not catching on anything so thinking it is slipping somewhere. I know there is 2 sets of rollers upper and lower feed rollers and pulleys. Would these be a good place to start? I saw there is a clutch in there as well. Wasn't sure if it is slipping up near the exit area as it re-enters the device heading into the duplexer, or if its slipping as it comes out of the tray. Is there a better way to pin point where it could be slipping? Or is there something more common that goes on with these that should be tried first for this problem?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    for your first issue, are they using genuine toner??
    Second one sounds like a clutch, thats what i would be looking at.

I'm with tclar, generic toner and duplex cluth

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Yes they are using genuine toner. The developer had crossed my mind but I would have thought it would be more of a constant problem with that than intermittent.

perhaps the main charger have leaks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jimbo1's Avatar
    It would be worth your while to replace the main charge grid. Whenever you get a situation where it has arced to the grid it will do so again. I would look at the blocks and if it looks to have arced there I would replace that whole main charger.

Also beware in that sometimes when the charger arcs it will pit the drum and cause spots. In that case you will wind up replacing the whole drum unit.

Also I ususally advise the customer not to use that little charger cleaner that comes with the toner. It is only good for causing problems.
    Last edited by Jimbo1; 12-01-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."

Cdr. William Riker

replace the charge wire and the duplex jam may be the duplex need cleaned

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Copystar 4030

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1 View Post
    It would be worth your while to replace the main charge grid. Whenever you get a situation where it has arced to the grid it will do so again. I would look at the blocks and if it looks to have arced there I would replace that whole main charger.

Also beware in that sometimes when the charger arcs it will pit the drum and cause spots. In that case you will wind up replacing the whole drum unit.

Also I usually advise the customer not to use that little charger cleaner that comes with the toner. It is only good for causing problems.
    I think that the primary charge is very likely your culprit, specifically the grid shorting to the drum. I haven't much luck with restringing them. You'll want to be sure to point out all the little arc pinpoints, and make sure that they know that is caused by the drum, and they will be staying if you don't change the drum. Like jimbo says, those cleaners cause more problems than they fix. I tell my people to throw them away.

As the duplex jamming goes, a jam code would help. Look in sim U000, JAM. I'd look closely at the pre-registration mylars and the duplex clutch. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Thanks, guys for all the input. I can see the black spots on the print outs which makes further sense of the charge unit arcing and causing pits on the drum. I will be recommending a whole drum unit and look into the clutch in the duplexer.

This copier was at one of our clients and they donated it to a school. Thought I was done with it but now the school is calling...lol...I can't find the error codes so will have to print out the next time I go back. I will post them up when I get them.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Copystar 4030

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $11.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from The Internet's largest collection of manuals

Paul@justmanuals.com