Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Removing drum unit from FS 3140mfp

Getting bias type bars across page about 1/4" thick and 1 and 1/2" apart. Looks like something you might get from poor contact or possibly main charger . I attempted to remove drum on left side. I removed waste container and a small black plastic stopper at drum release lever. Next step is to "unlock drum unit lock" which appears to be plastic tab in back of bottom front side of drum. I can't seem to release this "lock". First call on this machine and I feel ridiculous but tried wedging small flathead in different spots but no luck. Please advise if you are familiar with this drum release "lock". Frank/ActionPhotocopy

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar
    Remove the development unit first, then the drum.

Hi Eric . I believe I did that . Is the developer unit the toner cartidge on this machine as the picture in the service manual appears to be toner cartridge which is removed from front. I was wondering why they were calling it both the toner cartridge and developer unit.
    Anyway I had opened the front of machine and pushed blue lever to right as I removed the cartridge. Frank

After removing the toner/developer cartridge from the front a little black plastic stopper is removed from release lever on front of drum unit that frees release lever for movement in and out. When release lever is then pressed in the back/botttom of it disengages from machine frame and drum unit should easily slide out. Something is binding drum unit and preventing it from being slid out.
    I suspect a shipping incident caused something to engage drum unit. As I was there for bias type bars running across page in equi-distant intervals of 1-2" I believe same thing causing binding is causing discharge type bars. That is what led me to want to remove drum unit. Machine is brand new with box still in front of machine and shipped from out of state. I am recommending machine replacement as I would need to remove more parts to expose drum unit to determine cause of binding and it would take too long and not guarantee a resolution of problem or that there might not be another problem cropping up later. Frank

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar
    I think you only removed the tonercartridge. You can pull out the whole unit, tonercartidge and development unit together. Then you can remove the drum.

I agree with Eric1968 it sounds like you only removed the toner from the dev unit.
    Dont unlock the toner just grab hold of it and pull the whole lot out then press the grey release lever on the drum unit and it will slide out just like a FS-2000 3920 etc. assuming you have removed the drum lock 1st. This is something I get a lot when talking customers through paper jam clearing to look for paper under the dev/process units they just remove the toner.

madas

If you are a member of KMAConnect, go to their OnLine Training section. They have step-by-step videos for all of this.

I am sure you are correct. I feel like such an imbecile. The developer section looks just like a holder assembly and I thought I had read that the developer unit and toner unit were one and the same. When ilooked on page 1-5-25 the arrow is pointing to top of toner cartridge and calling it developer unit. It was not pointing to casing and on a quick look i did not realize the bottom was the developer section encasing th toner cartridge. This is embarrassing as I was at customer's office twice and must return in AM to rectify my error. I still need to troubleshoot the bias type bars on prints/copies. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways. Frank