Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    certified scrub 500+ Posts
    SMB, domain name, WTF?

SMB, domain name, WTF?

Had a little run-in with a SMB setup that a amateur dropped the ball on.

When would you need Domain name for SMB?

I managed to compare settings with the new, and the old. The only difference is the D name missing, no authentication needed what so ever.

I've had about +100 encounters, this is case #2.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    SMB, domain name, WTF?

I believe the only time would be in a domain environment where the MFP has to log in as a domain user. Not 100% sure though.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ignacio.cortez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    I believe the only time would be in a domain environment where the MFP has to log in as a domain user. Not 100% sure though.
    If your client is using DHCP for the Computers, and you're setting up a Scan to SMB, you have two choices.

Choice 1.- Make sure, the Router/DHCP server is always issuing the same IP address to the PCs, (that involves having their IP person enter the MAC address of each Machine into the Router/DHCP server, that way as soon as a certain MAC address connect, it knows what IP to issue, Otherwise, the PC will receive a different IP address every time it logs on, I have a client with that issue, but they decided to go DHCP and dont want to do it.

Choice 2.- Use the Computer Name instead of the IP Address for Host, that way, it does not matter what the IP address is, it will look for the Computer Name (and that is where the DNS (Domain Name Server) comes into play) without the DNS, the machine will not know what IP address belongs to what Computer, so, if you're setting Scan to SMB (Or Scan to FTP) with Computer Names, make sure you always enter the Domain Name Server address.

If you have Static IP address, you're good, since the IP address does not change anyways

SMB, domain name, WTF?

yes it is on host name, and yes it does have two DNS.

Is this the same as "connection specific DNS suffix" from ipconfig?

SMB, domain name, WTF?

Host name resolution generally uses the following sequence:
    1. The client checks to see if the name queried is its own.
    2. The client then searches a local Hosts file, a list of IP address and names stored on the local computer.
    3. Domain Name System (DNS) servers are queried.
    4. If the name is still not resolved, NetBIOS name resolution sequence is used
    as a backup. This order can be changed by configuring the NetBIOS node
    type of the client.

Most places don't have an internal DNS server, and an external DNS won't resolve a hostname on your network. SMB scanning does not need DNS.

Hostname should always be the first choice but I've found that it seems to depend on the MFP for some reason.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ignacio.cortez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    Host name resolution generally uses the following sequence:
    1. The client checks to see if the name queried is its own.
    2. The client then searches a local Hosts file, a list of IP address and names stored on the local computer.
    3. Domain Name System (DNS) servers are queried.
    4. If the name is still not resolved, NetBIOS name resolution sequence is used
    as a backup. This order can be changed by configuring the NetBIOS node
    type of the client.

Most places don't have an internal DNS server, and an external DNS won't resolve a hostname on your network. SMB scanning does not need DNS.

Hostname should always be the first choice but I've found that it seems to depend on the MFP for some reason.
    The only problem with the Host file (local host name resolution file) is that once the Router/DHCP issues a new IP address to a computer, then that file is useless, since the file will be pointing the to a wrong location, plus, the MFP does not have a host file itself, (unless I missed something on the training class, which could be possible) so it either looks for an IP address or looks for the DNS server, any company that has a Windows server does have a DNS server, its just not configured.

I've worked with Computers since I was on 4th grade, and Done IT since the early 90's back when NetBEUI and NetBIOS was a standard protocol as well as IPX (Old Netware), Most of the companies I've gone to both in California and in Chicago, dont even have NetBEUI and NetBIOS even installed. But then again, that's just the companies that I've worked with.

SMB, domain name, WTF?

Capture.JPG
    I thinks you're incorrect. All MFP's have a hostname. Scanning to the hostname is the best way to set up SMB. If the computer changes IP, the scan will still find the computer based on name rather than IP.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

SMB, domain name, WTF?

Its scanning to a BA NS 220 not a actual computer.

With a domain name, it still doesn't work. Does the name need to be in IP form?

SMB, domain name, WTF?

I would try setting the IP address in the Host field for SMB scanning. Make sure the share name of the folder is correct by browsing to it from the run line. \\servername\sharename Then after that, authentication would be the only other issue. What error code are you getting ?
    I've attached the scan guide in this thread. http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ky...ndows-7-a.html
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

SMB, domain name, WTF?

Its a NAS220, the permission is managed from the drive. Until I get the login and password, nothing i can do.

its probably not anything related to DNS, DN, the usual authentication.

bloody seagate...
    Last edited by jmaister; 03-02-2011 at 12:42 AM.