Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    radu1905

scanning with Kyocera FS 1128 using WSD / SMB

Hi Tony,

I have tried with SMB (using your link below) but I don't have a domain for my network but just a workgroup.
    I don't have the printer connected to a server but to a wireless router and the computer I am installing the printer is also wired to the wireless router. The other two computers in the house are wireless connected to the router. I have Windows 7 on all computers.

I have succeeded to install the printer as a network printer and everything works fine for all the computers but only the scanning because I can't see any computer from the scanner/ printer using SMB option. Then I have installed then the printer connected by USB to the computer wired to the router and everything works fine. But I would like to be able to scan to a file and not to Word only which is the only option with TWAIN driver.

Can I use WSD scanning instead of SMB? What do I need to do to install it properly as a network printer and scanner using a non-server network?

Can you give any advise please?

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,
    Radu

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar
    So you said the printer was network connected IE: Cat5 cable to the router? And can print ok? You also said you're printing/scanning via USB? In order to network scan (SMB) you must have sharing enabled on your PC. If you created a shared folder and can access it via another pc on your network then you should be able to scan to it. If the destination is configured properly in the machine. As far as i know you can't browse the network from the machine. WSD scanning is not the same as SMB.

When you do a SMB scan, upon failure the machine should give you an error code if she's unable to deliver the file. Would be good to know it so its easier to pinpoint the fault.

Looking at the configs you did on the machine all seems to be fine, at the exception of the email... Gmail requires secure connection encriptions, wich if i recall right that particular machine doesnt support it.
    For sure your problem comes from the shared folder on your computer... Recheck the shared folder properties, on the advanced sharing, make sure its shared for Everyone and not just a particular user namely yours, also recheck to see if full rights are given, read and write files.
    Im gonna try to explain step by step how to properly share the folder on win 7:

Step one: Click the "Network Internet Access" icon at the bottom right of your screen, next to your clock, speaker icon, etc. Click open the "Network and Sharing Center."

Step two: Locate and click "Choose homegroup and sharing options." You are now on the "Change Homegroup settings" window. In this window, click "Leave the homegroup..." A warning will pop up. Go ahead and click "Leave the homegroup."

Step three: You are now presented with a page labeled "Share with other home computers running Windows 7." From here click the link "Change advanced sharing settings..."

Step four: You are now at the "Change sharing options for different network profiles" page. This is where you are going to do the "proper sharing". I'm going to go option by option. Most of these will probably already be configured correctly, but I'll tell you how they should be configured, nonetheless.

Network Discovery: turn on network discovery

File and printer sharing: turn on

Public folder sharing: Your choice. It can be on or off, irrelevant for SMB.

Media Streaming: By default, this is off. You can turn it on if you want, but it is not why we are here, so I'm going to leave it off for now.

Password protected sharing: Turn off password protected sharing

HomeGroup connections: This doesn't really matter, since you already left homegroup. However, I allowed Windows to manage my homegroup connections. It seemed easier than arguing.

Step five: Click Save changes. Now close the window that says "Share with other home computers running Windows 7."

Step six: Navigate to a folder you want to share. I am navigating to D:\scan. First, left click on D:\scan (or whatever your folder is named) to make sure it is highlighted. Then, right click on the folder. Put your mouse over "Share with" and four options should pop up "Nobody, Homegroup (read), Homegroup (read/write), Specific people." You Click "Specific people..."

Step seven: You should now be on a dialog that is entitled "Choose people to share with." Your goal is to share the folder with "Everyone." On the dialog there should be a list of people. This list might include "Administrator," your username, "Guest," and "Everyone." It might only contain a subset of that group. If "everyone" is listed, simply click everyone, then click "Share." It MUST be Everyone and on the dropdown menu select Read/Write privileges
    If Everyone is not listed, click the dropdown arrow next to the "Add" button. "Everyone" should be on the list there. Click it, then click Add. If "Everyone" isn't on the dropdown list, you should be able to type "Everyone" in and click Add.

Once all above is done, click "Share."

Post your results.

radu1905

thanks

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.
    I think that I have shared the folder as it can be seen by other computers. I have installed the printer as a network but because I couldn't use it for scanning I have also installed as an USB printer/scanner which works fine. As a network only the printer is working for all computers on the network.
    I thought that WSD scanning might be more appropriate for the wireless router network I have.
    I will try to follow the steps below that your colleague has kindly added.

Many thanks,
    Radu
    Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    So you said the printer was network connected IE: Cat5 cable to the router? And can print ok? You also said you're printing/scanning via USB? In order to network scan (SMB) you must have sharing enabled on your PC. If you created a shared folder and can access it via another pc on your network then you should be able to scan to it. If the destination is configured properly in the machine. As far as i know you can't browse the network from the machine. WSD scanning is not the same as SMB.

radu1905

Thank you very much

Hello,

I will try the steps below.

Many thanks indeed,
    Radu

Quote Originally Posted by hekotez View Post
    When you do a SMB scan, upon failure the machine should give you an error code if she's unable to deliver the file. Would be good to know it so its easier to pinpoint the fault.

Looking at the configs you did on the machine all seems to be fine, at the exception of the email... Gmail requires secure connection encriptions, wich if i recall right that particular machine doesnt support it.
    For sure your problem comes from the shared folder on your computer... Recheck the shared folder properties, on the advanced sharing, make sure its shared for Everyone and not just a particular user namely yours, also recheck to see if full rights are given, read and write files.

Step one: Click the "Network Internet Access" icon at the bottom right of your screen, next to your clock, speaker icon, etc. Click open the "Network and Sharing Center."

Step two: Locate and click "Choose homegroup and sharing options." You are now on the "Change Homegroup settings" window. In this window, click "Leave the homegroup..." A warning will pop up. Go ahead and click "Leave the homegroup."

Step three: You are now presented with a page labeled "Share with other home computers running Windows 7." From here click the link "Change advanced sharing settings..."

Step four: You are now at the "Change sharing options for different network profiles" page. This is where you are going to do the "proper sharing". I'm going to go option by option. Most of these will probably already be configured correctly, but I'll tell you how they should be configured, nonetheless.

Media Streaming: By default, this is off. You can turn it on if you want, but it is not why we are here, so I'm going to leave it off for now.

HomeGroup connections: This doesn't really matter, since you already left homegroup. However, I allowed Windows to manage my homegroup connections. It seemed easier than arguing.

Step five: Click Save changes. Now close the window that says "Share with other home computers running Windows 7."

Step six: Navigate to a folder you want to share. I am navigating to D:\scan. First, left click on D:\scan (or whatever your folder is named) to make sure it is highlighted. Then, right click on the folder. Put your mouse over "Share with" and four options should pop up "Nobody, Homegroup (read), Homegroup (read/write), Specific people." You Click "Specific people..."

Step seven: You should now be on a dialog that is entitled "Choose people to share with." Your goal is to share the folder with "Everyone." On the dialog there should be a list of people. This list might include "Administrator," your username, "Guest," and "Everyone." It might only contain a subset of that group. If "everyone" is listed, simply click everyone, then click "Share." It MUST be Everyone and on the dropdown menu select Read/Write privileges
    If Everyone is not listed, click the dropdown arrow next to the "Add" button. "Everyone" should be on the list there. Click it, then click Add. If "Everyone" isn't on the dropdown list, you should be able to type "Everyone" in and click Add.

Post your results.

Quote Originally Posted by hekotez View Post

Post your results.
    Thanks for the advice on setting up Win7. This can be tricky because the of the new OS, settings change etc. And I am still getting used to Win7 as alot of people have not migrated to it yet. I had a problem with this my self once. (steps 6 & 7). Setting up Sharing. SMB is kinda tricky anyways but once it works, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by radu1905 View Post
    Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.
    I think that I have shared the folder as it can be seen by other computers. I have installed the printer as a network but because I couldn't use it for scanning I have also installed as an USB printer/scanner which works fine. As a network only the printer is working for all computers on the network.
    I thought that WSD scanning might be more appropriate for the wireless router network I have.
    I will try to follow the steps below that your colleague has kindly added.

Many thanks,
    Radu
    Good luck. Let us know what happens.

WTH why are not using the scan to file utility, works by scanning ftp simple to install , simple to troubleshoot , works 99.99 up time