Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Faxman63

Kyocera 2560/3040/3060 "Gray backgrounding"

‘The Primary concern’

Symptom: Dark cloudy backgrounds seen on output documents from the
    Kyocera 2560/3040/3060 series units.

This was interesting. As I first approached this unit by running 5 copies the output was just fine.
    I then had the client send one print job. The output was horrible. It appeared as though a soft charcoal rub was all over the paper. The image was just fine. It was all about the background. So why didn’t the defect occur on the first page? Good question.
    So I went to the usual suspects. Primary, drum and fuser and filters. The Fuser was fine. The Drum was clean and the primary was immaculate and the filters were okay.
    What now? High voltage failure? Not likely. The unit has only 111K on it. The word is that there is a tech bulletin on it. Fair enough.

2560 rear cavity.jpg

What you’re looking at is the receiver end of the drum cavity. The drum (containing the primary charge unit) and the developer have been removed. Take note of the Z shaped chrome strip. That’s the primary bias contact. The two fingers at the upper left are the demons! The metal doesn’t have the spring-ability that it should and gets pushed to far back. At no particular point the contacts are not pressing hard enough on the primary contact at the end of the primary unit.
    The fix: Lay a bright flashlight on the bed where the developer is. You might want to remove the front access door for a better reach. Go in from the side with a spring hook tool and gently pull the fingers towards the front of the machine. Easy!! No strong-arming.
    Reassemble. Check image. Job done.

Submitted by: Ken Allen January 14, 2011

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Kyocera 2560/3040/3060 "Gray backgrounding"

Good find. I've seen a few of these that have begun arcing between that primary contact and the primary charge unit. On those I took a diamond file to remove the corrosion, and reshaped the contact for better ... contact. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hi,had this a bit as well.Also if you examine the black holder behind the contacts,there is a cavity there that allows the contacts to slip into space,hence poor contact with the main charge.The solution is to cover the cavity with something like a small plastic stickybacked strip.

Technician

sometimes the main charging arcs, you just have to file the burnt edges and it should be fine