Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: FS-9120DN

Technician

FS-9120DN

All,

I need to know if there is a maint. mode for a FS-9120DN, and how to update the firmware on one of these machines. I have the correct style flash card and access to the updates. Thanks!

buselton

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Metalvoc's Avatar

Re: FS-9120DN

You will need to format the compact flash card in the printer first. The maint mode for that printer gets loaded on the flash card, somewhat like the firmware. Put the maint mode files into the API directory (I believe, haven't done this in a while) on your formatted CF card. The firmware files go in the root directory. However, you only want to load one or the other on the card at a time. With the firmware files on the card, the printer will update automatically once you turn on the power switch. The maint mode will install when you turn on the printer, and will appear as an additional menu item.

Technician

Well, I managed get the maching to go into maint. mode. I then, after leaving maint. mode, tried to update the firmware. I tried both formatting the compact flash card on a laptop running XP, then unzipping the update onto the flashcard just like I would when updating say, an 1128 with a USB card. That did not work. I then formatted the card with the machine and unzipped the firmware onto the root directory of the flash card. It still did not work. I was updating the firmware becasue after going into the maint. mode then restarting the maching the machine threw a F040 code, which I looked up to be a main pwb board. My manager asked me to try the update in an attempt to solve the problem, but it simply threw the code. And at last the original problem: the printer in stuch in A4. It keeps saying to us paper size A4. I have changed the paper guides several times to both LT and LT-R, but when I tell the machine to print a status page or menu map it tells me to load A4 into the MP tray. Any ideas about the A4, PWB, and firmware updates??

buselton

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Metalvoc's Avatar

I had a 9520 that was asking for A4 paper, and it would print the service status page, but it came out on 5 or 6 different sheets, with different parts of the status page printing separately. It also would not accept firmware. Setting the machine to metric/inch specification is done in sim U252. You can check to make sure that is set correctly. There may also be a setting in the menu under paper handling to set the trays to Auto, with a choice of inch or metric. Though I am not sure about that one. Don't have one in the office to verify.

I have seen F030 codes on those that are easily resolved by re-loading the firmware, and are sometimes caused by bad print data. I don't think I have seen a F040 code on those before, though. From the description in the manual, you might have a bad connection between the main and engine PWBs. Try pulling the main board out, and re-connecting all the connectors, and re-seat it with the engine board.

I hope you get it resolved, but if I had to guess, I would say you will probably need to replace that main board.

Technician

Thanks! the customer corrected the problem by simply buying a new machine, which made our sales guy happy, as well as the techs. It worked out, I guess

buselton