Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

KM-8030 nightmare

This copier is going to be the death of me. The vertical conveying motor (for cassettes 3 and 4) either freezes up or runs backwards. I have replaced this motor 3 times and tried two cassette PWB's all with the same result. All but one motor I have installed has been destroyed. The last one I stopped after only a few seconds and was able to install into another machine. I have used one of the Cassette PWB's in another copier and it was fine. I have 26 volts to pins 2 and 5 before powering the motor. Afterward I lose all voltage to pin 5. If i remove the motor and reset the machine I get the voltage back to both pins. It seems whenever I install a motor it overloads the board and shuts down pins 4,5 and 6. I am about to pull another 6030 out of storage and replace both the board and the motor at the same time. I have tried this before but was not sure of the motor.

All other units attached to the PWB work correctly and the customer is still using the copier, just not tray 3 and 4. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    KM-8030 nightmare

Re: KM-8030 nightmare

Two ideas:

1) If you plug in the motor, but leave it out of the drive train, can you make the motor run in service mode? If yes, maybe there is excessive drag on the motor causing an overcurrent condition. You can also try to rotate the drive by hand to identify a shaft or roller that's too hard to turn.

2) The real problem may be something dragging down the 24vdc present at the CSPWB. I'd start by disconnecting all the loads from the CSPWB but leave the line to the PS connected. The source is YC1 @ CSPWB or YC11 @ DCPSPWB (24vdc). You'll probably get some kind of error but we don't care for the moment. Does the 24vdc stay? No? It could be the DCPSPWB, EPWB, or possibly connectors or wiring.

Does the 24vdc stay? Yes? Good. Now start reconnecting loads at the CSPWB, then re-boot, until you find the one that kills the 24vdc. There's your overload. There are a couple good candidates. The vertical transport motor and transfer motor are significant loads. Some wiring may be pinched (that's always fun to find...). It's probably not one of the plethora of sensors because they're using the 5vdc line.

It sounds like you've got yourself a nice challenge. These are always satisfying to solve. Let us know how it resolves. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Thanks Black Cat. Went back to machine with every part possibly related. Had already replaced most of these but decided to do all at once. I remembered you talking about wires so I decided to examine the entire harness first. I had already mentioned to my boss that I might want to replace the harness and he said no, harnesses do not just go bad. Well, sure enough I found a cut wire grounding to the machine. It blew three motors and one cassette PWB before being found. The arcing wire was 24v pulse so explained why voltages okay until load applied.

Thanks again.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    KM-8030 nightmare

Congratulations Cirrus. Pinched harnesses can be really hard to track down. It takes a lot of persistence, but you know that. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=