Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    CS2050 jams coming up left side every several copies

Thumbs up CS2050 jams coming up left side every several copies

Machine jams from either drawer. Open left side door and paper is right there easy to remove. When running singles machine is reliable. Most of the time when it jams there is a moaning sound I believe from main motor as thought it is straining . I am wondering if two problems, motor and possibly actuator/spring in middle. I didn't have much time to check thoroughly as extremely busy day in doctor's office and machine in small quarters where employees needed constant access.
    I am pretty sure that main motor was making the sound just before jam but can't say that drum or fuser is not responsible as I didn't have either one out to manually test but am assuming if one of them were responsible then would have jamming on single copies as well.
    There were several jams at same spot without any noise from motor but all on 2 or 3 copy runs and that is why I wondered also about the actuator in exit area. The actuator appeared to return without hesitation but again I did not remove to examine. I do a service call on a machine like this once every few or several months so don't have intimate knowledge and experience on this series.
    Any input you can give in helping me to resolve this problem is very much appreciated. Frank/ActionPhotocopy

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: CS2050 jams coming up left side every several copies

I seem to recall having the separation pad get dislodged while a jam was being removed. I don't think that I needed any additional parts. It was just exceeding inconvenient to remove the drum & developing unit, then laying the machine on the floor on its side to access the separation pad. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Thumbs up Re: CS2050 jams coming up left side every several copies

Wow David. That is ambitious. You know I did not actually try the bottom tray but took customer's word that both trays were jamming in same spot. If it is both trays then I am assuming something common to both trays. With the separation pad dislodged was the paper skewing as these seem evenly fed?
    I always say a little silent prayer when turning a machine on it's side or back? How about you David? What about the straining sound of the main motor just before each jam and no sound when paper exits normally? Frank

The registration switch has a tiny spring that falls off. You might find it somewhere, but bring another one in case.

I've heard macgyvers weighting the actuator, in lieu of a spring.

Quote Originally Posted by axyun View Post
    ... You know I did not actually try the bottom tray but took customer's word that both trays were jamming in same spot. If it is both trays then I am assuming something common to both trays. With the separation pad dislodged was the paper skewing as these seem evenly fed? ...
    IIRC my machine only had one tray and the MPT, and the MPT fed fine. Yes it was the paper skewing that ultimately caused the jams.

Wow David. That is ambitious. ... I always say a little silent prayer when turning a machine on it's side or back? How about you David? ...
    AFAIK it's the only way to get to the separation assembly, and not much fun. Fortunately for me there was a cooperative teacher nearby to help me with the lift. It's the same way on the Sharp Leopards (AR-M237, AR-M277).

... What about the straining sound of the main motor just before each jam and no sound when paper exits normally? Frank
    I didn't notice that on my machine. It sounds as though you are leaning towards a drive problem, like gummed up bushings or a weakening motor. I haven't had any experience to corroborate that, but it's certainly a possibility.

You know, I had another thought. It's quite common on these machines for the customer to wrap the MPT feed clutch. All it takes is a single jam that the customer yanks back in the wrong direction. This wrapped clutch can bind up the drive, making various screechy noises, but mainly only affecting feed from the MPT. Maybe your clutch is wrapped?

Here is the database entry for that event (it's certainly a lot clearer than my memory):
    Misfeed (jam J11, J42). Bushing & white plastic clip are found in the paper tray during jam removal. Void area with fuzzy borders in the feed direction ~6mm wide. This started as a transparency melt in the fuser. A large melted piece was trapped alongside the transfer roller carving out a 6mm wide gouge. J42 jams result from paper hitting the melted bit. After several J42 jam removals the tray is forced out dislodging the front feed bushing & clip. J11 jams result. Reinstall front feed bushing & clip. Remove melted bits of transparency. Replace transfer roller & latches.

=^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 11-12-2011 at 07:11 PM.

The noise I am hearing is a low pitch sound like a ships fog horn as opposed to a high pitched screaching sound you hear many times from clutches. Although a mag clutch may give you that type of sound. It's hust that customer said it happens on both trays and that would mean 2 clutches making same sound at same time period. I would go would something common to both as that would be coincidental. Frank

Thumbs up Re: CS2050 jams coming up left side every several copies

I went back to customer the other day. Before going I thought about the noise I mentioned and decided it probably was not drive motor because paper stopped in same spot all the time and a motor ceasing up could happen at any time and therefore cause jams anywhere.
    I disassembled the upper feed clutch as the lower tray was working fine though the customer had led me to believe otherwise. After cleaning the clutch parts thoroughly the upper tray worked well and for first time I could run 20 copies without a jam whereas before it jammed every few copies.
    I then ran duplex copies and the paper would jam from either tray after a few or several copies. I checked the registration actuator as you suggested JR and the spring was missing as you mentioned. I was surprised that it was not jamming on one sided copies but perhaps it is more critical on duplex. I ordered the spring and this should solve machines problems.
    Hopefully the clutch will last a while before needing to be changed.
    So there were 2 problems on machine and I am very grateful for your help. This is something else I need to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. Internet site where techs from all over try to help each other out for no more than a thank you. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Frank

Happy Thanksgiving right back at you. =^..^=