Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

KM 6030 fuser drive gear

I have a couple of these machines at different schools, but i am having a similar problem with both of them. They go thru fuser drive gears faster than they should. One I have been on 4 different times since placing it there at the end of school last spring. I have replaced with the new type gear and motor and also the white plasitic gears driven by this gear, and still have had to go back within 3-4 weeks. The fuser rotates freely I cant see or feel any binding. Am I missing something or do I just have a couple of dogs to deal with.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: KM 6030 fuser drive gear

We've had the fuser driver gears go out on 5 of these machines and replaced the whole motor/gear assy, but we've never had to go back it's always fixed the problem.

When you replace the motor are you replacing that whole assy gears and all? That's the only thing I can think of.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

Welcome to the horrible world of fuser drive replacement. My shop has replaced 11 in two machines over the past year (those are the only ones I'm keeping track of). From what I've been able to gather, it's a big problem. I have been trying to do something so I won't have to replace them once a month, and I think I have found something. After replacing with rebuilt motors, I got a new fuser motor drive assembly and they seem to be working. I say seem because they have have not been installed all that long, one on 11-18 and one on 12-13. But, the one installed in November is almost at two months, and we had been installing one a month since June (keeping fingers crossed). We are also, on the fuser rebuilds, loosening the nuts for the pressure roller a quarter of a turn. Other than that, I haven't found anything to help.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

After reading Zackuth's post I probably should add that all of our motor/gear assy replacements were brand new from Kyocera.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ES-OGT View Post
    We've had the fuser driver gears go out on 5 of these machines and replaced the whole motor/gear assy, but we've never had to go back it's always fixed the problem.

When you replace the motor are you replacing that whole assy gears and all? That's the only thing I can think of.

That may be what i need to do(which sux as i have just ordered 25 of the metal gears).
    What i have replaced is the metal gear the drive motor and the two white plastic gears, that get there drive from the fuser drive motor, but not the other little motor or its gear.

Service Manager 250+ Posts just a tech's Avatar

When we first started having fuser drive pack issues on the 6030 / 8030 machines, we were just replacing the metal gears and the motor.. They would last for a little while (some longer than others).. After we were having to replace the gear / motor repeatedly, I started buying the whole drive pack assembly and we started just replacing the whole thing as a unit..
    After crunching the numbers, it was cheaper in the long run to buy the whole ass'y and do it once and forget about it instead of sending them out numerous times fighting a losing battle.. They are expensive but it's worth it if ya don't have to keep going back.. They have redesigned the drive pack ass'y to remedy the problems associated with it.. So you can get the pieces to perform the update procedures or you can get the whole thing (motors, gears, drive plate, etc..) as one unit.. Part # 302FB93134 (242.74 from Kyocera)

I have attached the tech bulletin for ya in case you want to purchase the individual parts instead.. Personally, I like the whole assemblies cause they save time & aggravation and it comes ready to bolt on.. (And as we all know.. Time is money too.. )

Good Luck..
    Attached Files Attached Files

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by just a tech View Post
    When we first started having fuser drive pack issues on the 6030 / 8030 machines, we were just replacing the metal gears and the motor.. They would last for a little while (some longer than others).. After we were having to replace the gear / motor repeatedly, I started buying the whole drive pack assembly and we started just replacing the whole thing as a unit..
    After crunching the numbers, it was cheaper in the long run to buy the whole ass'y and do it once and forget about it instead of sending them out numerous times fighting a losing battle.. They are expensive but it's worth it if ya don't have to keep going back.. They have redesigned the drive pack ass'y to remedy the problems associated with it.. So you can get the pieces to perform the update procedures or you can get the whole thing (motors, gears, drive plate, etc..) as one unit.. Part # 302FB93134 (242.74 from Kyocera)

I have attached the tech bulletin for ya in case you want to purchase the individual parts instead.. Personally, I like the whole assemblies cause they save time & aggravation and it comes ready to bolt on.. (And as we all know.. Time is money too.. )

Good Luck..

Thanks,

I saw the bulletin on kmaconnect but at nearly 250 bucks, and the only thing different was the metal gear and drive motor. I thought it would be cheaper going that route, but now I see the error of my ways plus I am getting tired of changing that gear(even if I can get it done in under 45 minutes now).

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

These machines wil require, at some point, usually around a milion clicks if the PM's were done on time and correctly, the fuser drive PACK, drum drive and developer drive PACK. Not the individual pieces, but the whole assembly, back plate to front plate and everything in between. At about two million clicks, same thing. After three million clicks................................never mind, it will NEVER go three million clicks. Cheper in labor and field hours to just replace the entire assembly.

Technician

shhhhh! Don't say that to my machine with over 8 Million on..... And one Fuser Drive Gear Replacement.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts The_Murph's Avatar

Hello all,

I have nothing additional regarding the fuser drive replacement, I agree with what the other posters are saying. However I would add that these machines (as I'm sure you know) have a lot of load on the couple main motors. I found that drive assemblies are lasting longer and performing more consistently since I instructed my techs to take the time to disassemble and clean/lube all bushings and shafts on the main transfer drawer (specifically the registration and switchback assemblies). I know it seems basic, but a lot of techs don't take the time and it ends up costing their companies in the long run. It takes a minute but its worth it when you start running clicks btwn call reports or overall contract profitability.

Hope this helps your equipment reliability,
    If you phrase your inquiry properly, you will get the answers you seek...

Good Luck ... You'll need it! HAHAHA!

~Big Dan~