Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    NS-30 email scanning to Gmail, SMB

I don't see an area for SSL in the interface. Does this rule out Gmail as an SMTP source?
    Also, when scanning SMB within a domain...normally should be 'domainname\username' correct? But in documentation it showed something like 'username@domainname.local'. I couldn't access the folder either way, may be something else blocking it for SMB. any insight would be appreciated.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: NS-30 email scanning to Gmail, SMB

The only Kyoceras that support GMail's SSL are the newest Taskalfa line (3500i's 3050ci's and up)

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toner Boy View Post
    I don't see an area for SSL in the interface. Does this rule out Gmail as an SMTP source?
    Also, when scanning SMB within a domain...normally should be 'domainname\username' correct? But in documentation it showed something like 'username@domainname.local'. I couldn't access the folder either way, may be something else blocking it for SMB. any insight would be appreciated.
    Which copier are we talking about specifically? Anyone with an NS-30 (to include the Voyager color series which come it that standard) do not support SSL. The color touch screen/single NIC units starting from KM-3050 and up have the option for SSL. You need SSL, you're SOL. Which copier in particular are you talking about here. Not every NS-30 device can scan to SMB. However the username is just [username] or [domain\username]. Are you familiar with configuring SMB scanning? Windows firewall can block SMB, so can EVERY virus protection Firewall. Norton, McAfee, Kapersky, etc. Scan File Utility IMHO is a more reliable method of scanning.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

KM-8030, I should note that it does scan SMB to a machine on the same network which is not setup as part of the domain, a recent XP box.
    So at least I had it set up right with 'domain\username', just won't connect to the workstation 'cannot connect to PC', maybe the IP is out of range for some reason (can print to the machine from the workstation). XP workstation 192.168.1.75 (under domain control), NS-30 is 192.168.1.202.
    There is no reliable IT support for this network at this time, they are in between providers, they may have to live with scanning to the clean XP box for now.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Based on what you are asking, there are quite a few threads on here that deal with SMB scanning problems, regardless of copier manufacturer. Here are some more questions (is that all I ever do?). Your target computer that you are having trouble scanning to, what operating system? Is it going to the server or individual workstation? If XP workstation, are the Sharing and Security permissions set appropriately? Full Control for the user that you are authenticating with. If Vista or 7, then give Bill Gates SARS. Are you using IP address or hostname. Always try direct IP address for testing purposes. And finally, disable ALL firewalls to include Windows Firewall.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Don't rule out scan to Gmail. There is a non-SSL Gmail server which is not as secure, but still available.

aodtech is right about the various folder permissions. I always make sure that I have PC authentication, not anonymous, even if I have to create a login with password just for scanning. SMB was added to the NS-30 a little later, so you must have a fairly recent version of the NS-30 firmware. I believe the most recent version is 1.4.03b2, and before that 1.4.11 Both have SMB scanning included. And it must be enabled in simulation U512, but it must be if you can even see the button on the MFP screen.

Regarding IP address: what is the subnet mask and gateway? I have come across something like this before. Read here: Strange IP address
    You should be able to ping the recipient address if it's accessible.

Most likely, it's a login or permissions issue. Try locating a share folder on the C:\ drive then creating a shortcut to wherever you'd like. You cannot necessarily access all the lettered drives. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

INFO: The folder created was c:\scans, shortcut to it on the desktop, all PC's are XP thankfully (before MS went insane). I'm also using the admin username and password (as well as trying the local user's username and password). Firmware NS-30 is 1.4.02 I believe. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, gateway is 192.168.1.254, did not try to ping it from the copier (if available, not so familiar with these models) but if I can print to it from the workstation wouldn't that be redundant?. I have not tried to disable any firewalls yet; there is also a chance that in the TCP/IP setup page for the print board the domain name may be incorrect, but the NS-30 is should be set right.
    I have not tried to setup a separate account for scanning. But have created 'everyone' with full control for folder access, as well as read/write control for all users. SARS, that's appropriate for Bill.
    The machine is pretty far away, I'll try some more of these suggestions when I can get out there again. And I'll try and wrap my diminutive brain around the link you provided Blackcat . Thanks for the posts.