Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts kyogenius's Avatar

Re: Company owner forcing us to use non-OEM toner - what comes next?

bad idea in long run,got clients this side who prefer katun or ikon for obvious reason, cheaper than oem,,,but now 75% of our calls from these clients are to do with bad quality copies, either background, dots on copies, scatched drums, double images due to fuser roller damages,or some complain about yield. These toners gives you far less the recommended copy yield,

check closely if you have a km 2550,or cs 2550 if you fitted katun, NO DOUBT SOON,it will give copies with dots or background,esp this model i had this problem more than 20 times recently

Senior Tech 100+ Posts coolbeer's Avatar

Agree with everything said preiously, costs will go up instead of down. We have tested most aftermarket toners and they do not work, they damage machines, increase service calls and toner yields are usually 60-70 % of original.
    Complete waste of money.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar

Check your event logs as well, some models record non-OEM toner. If you send a part back to KDA for warranty , you HAVE TO INCLUDE the event log......well, not using OEM can VOID the warranty.
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Company owner forcing us to use non-OEM toner - what comes next?

I think using Generic toner is a good idea. My therapist thinks so to. And he knows about toner better than your boss......

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

P.S. print out this forum and let him see what the techs are saying.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The real scandal is if your boss is charging OEM rates and not passing some savings to customer.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kidaver View Post
    1128 drum units really hate Katun toner.....
    I use katun toner on the 1128's only, do you have a generic that works better?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kmtech View Post
    I use katun toner on the 1128's only, do you have a generic that works better?

Thanks
    I'm in the same boat as the person who started the thread. I get no say so in toner decisions, I just give my opinion. If it were up to me I'd not use anything other than OEM toners. As for the 1128's I change enough fusers due to the warping and thermostat I sure don't need crappy toner making me change them more often. Sure the drum unit is easy enough to replace but the cost is going to bite us in the ass in the long run. We've started getting away from the Katun for the most part. Also the Katun doesn't like to sit in the dev unit just right it seems and I've had 3 calls to go clean up "exploding" toner cartridges. The customer won't get the cartridge locked down just right and it will puke toner all over the machine and surrounding area.
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

For the KM-2530-3035 series I tryed gen toner from densi. Bad mistake. Copies got real light. I lost a toner customer also cause of this.

One of my my buddies from another company uses Katun toner. Grey handle for the KM-2530-3035 etc. Says it works good. But they have to go out to the customer every now and then and clean the spots off the drum. Toner will stick to the drum and put specks on the prints. The gen toner does not have the lub polish in it? I guess thats what you call it. If you switch to gen toner you have to dump all the oem toner out and then set up with gen toner or CQ will get real light as gen toner is slowly added to the oem toner.

In the long run you save money on toner but lose money on parts and labor. WHY MESS WITH IT.

This is my experience on this model only. Not sure about other models.

Have had good luck with some Sharp gen toners and bad luck with some Sharp gen toners. ?? And the venders are not going to call you and say, Oh sorry, we are having a issue. They just hope you don't complain.

So show your boss all these posts . I have been doing this sense 1974. I have a little bit of an idea about what I'm doing.

Best to you.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Kyocera toners have a proprietary ceramic scrubbing agent mixed in with the toner. That is how they get such a long drum life. No aftermarket toner supplier can do that because Kyocera has a patent on thier supplies. There are several schools of thought on aftermarket versus OEM. If I were an owner (and I have been) of a dealershiop with factory authorization I would not want to use aftermarket supplies simply beacuse I want my quarterly rebate when I hit my target expenditures. OEM is always better beacuse it takes the guesswork out of troubleshooting CQ problems and suspected supplies issues. I do not have the opinion that all aftermarket toners suck and cause all kinds of problems. I use both OEM and aftermarket and it really depends on the machine and the volume on the particular machine. Technicians tend to think at the customer level (which is good) but must also remember how hard it is to turn a profit these days. Contrary to popular belief owners do not make alot of money on hardware sales. After sales commissions, overhead (building rent, utilities, commnications, etc.) technician salaries, vehicle allowance - the list goes on and on - there isn't much left for the owner to put in his or her pocket. Copier dealerships make thier money at the back end. I support whatever policy the owners hand down.