Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Company owner forcing us to use non-OEM toner - what comes next?

Your boss should really see these posts. All these techs are right. I've got 30 years in as a tech and know what I'm talking about. Make sure he has a calculator when he does the math on generic toner savings vs. svc. calls generated by this toner. A manager/boss/owner should generate revenue, not lose it.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Company owner forcing us to use non-OEM toner - what comes next?

I can't disagree with any of the others. Aftermarket toner is an avoidable hazard.

Personally I've seen severe mottling. It's a Canon term for toner buildup on the developing roller. When there is hard toner built up on the mag roller, less toner is available to transfer to the drum, and pushes ahead of it a small cloud of toner as it passes the S-blade. You end up with ovoid smudges that repeat (38mm for Stratos, 35mm on FalconII, 35.75mm for FalconIII). It's rare with OEM toner, and consistent all the time with aftermarket toner.

I've also seen the toner adhering to the drum on Stratos and FalconII.

I'm not sure why it occurs, but I've seen broken cleaning unit augers as a result of using aftermarket toner. It must not auger as easily as OEM. I had done a contract-ready evaluation on a FalconIII, and had included in the recommendation vacuuming out the aftermarket toner and installing OEM toner. Three days later (and before the recommendations were considered) the cleaning auger broke, damaging the drum and dumping a considerable amount of toner. It added $300 to the quote.

Penny wise, pound foolish. You'll more than make up for any toner cost savings with the additional labor to clean mag rollers, clean drums, replace drum units, and replace fuser units.

Feel free to quote me, if it serves any purpose. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

I'm sure someone probably already mentioned it, but if you use generic toner in Kyocera machines you will void the warranty on the consumable parts. So when the drum unit or dev unit fails early (which is almost a mathematical certainty if you're using generic toner) Kyocera will not cover it. And yes, they will be able to tell if you're using generic toner in the part you send back.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts luis8832's Avatar

prepared for copy quality issues, dev units going bad and alot of extra service calls. Worked for 2 companies that did the same and all i got
    was grief and aggravation from the customer.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I dunno, machines that only run OEM suck sometimes too.

I see the problem as manufacturers bending dealers over a barrel forcing cost cutting decisions.

People mention kyocera. Six years ago you could buy each and every single fuser part, now cough up 300 bucks for a busted picker finger.

No one wants to buy crap, but at the end of the day, most dealers are just trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents

A lot of the new toner is "polymerized".
    This means the toner particles are of a same size and have a built in polymer to give lubrication.

Only the OEM manufacturers have the machines to make this toner.

Try putting OEM developer in a machine using generic toner, or vise verse.
    Overtoning or undertoning with failure codes and CQ problems.

If you put both, you may not have CQ problems, but you will go through cleaning blades and heat rollers like you go through socks.

Penny wise, dollar stupid.

I bet the owners car gets the best of everything.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I may be wrong, but somewhere I heard that the manufacturers make some dealers commit to buying a cetrtain amount of toner in order to get better pricing on machines and/or parts.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ignacio.cortez's Avatar

Cool Re: Company owner forcing us to use non-OEM toner - what comes next?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudsybrew View Post
    Against my strong suggestions, we are now being forced to give non-OEM toner to our unsuspecting clients - for all our Kyocera machines. Of course the toner provider SWEARS we will have no issues; however, I'd like to be ready for the problems we will soon be facing.

What issues do I need to expect from this change (i.e. what is most likely to break or cause problems)?

Thanks for any heads-up!
    FIND another JOB You're going to have some fun mainly with CQ, but also some of the supplies (PCU and such, wearing faster) among others.

Lightbulb Re: Company owner forcing us to use non-OEM toner - what comes next?

Quote Originally Posted by kyogenius View Post
    bad idea in long run,got clients this side who prefer katun or ikon for obvious reason, cheaper than oem,,,but now 75% of our calls from these clients are to do with bad quality copies, either background, dots on copies, scatched drums, double images due to fuser roller damages,or some complain about yield. These toners gives you far less the recommended copy yield,

check closely if you have a km 2550,or cs 2550 if you fitted katun, NO DOUBT SOON,it will give copies with dots or background,esp this model i had this problem more than 20 times recently
    I am backing you up on this one with Katun toner KM2550 also fits in KM1620-KM1635 ...once you get this the other way around you take with your NEW OEM toner the FULL PM kit and starting fresh....
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Habik, toner for KM-2550 is not the same as KM-1620 , KM-1635. I don't think the cart fits at all. Looks the same tho .

KM-2050, KM -1650 is the same as KM-1635 , KM 1620. FYI.

But anyway don't use gen toner. Period.