Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts luis8832's Avatar

scan to smb on macs

I will be installing a cs 3050ci at an account 2moro. 2 of the users have fairly new macs, i called tech support and was told to do either scan to ftp or to install a freeware called SMBUP. I was wondering if anyone has tried this software and been successful with it or have found another way to scan to macs. If there is an ftp program out there that i can use instead then please inform me. Thank you all in advance

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Re: scan to smb on macs

Maybe this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    Maybe this helps.
    will it work on a higher version 10.7?

Setting up SMPUp is pretty straight-forward. Before you install it go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing, add the folder you want to use as an scan to folder. Set Everyone to Read & Write if you don't want to use a username and password, otherwise you will need to create a new user just for SMBUp.

If you need to create a new user, go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups, Give it a suitable name and password. You won't be able to use an existing username for SMUp as they are usually assigned to too many user groups. SMUp will tell you this if you try to add a username with more than 15 user groups assigned to it.

Back to File Sharing, either go to File Sharing Options and untick Share files and folders using SMB (Windows) or disable File Sharing completely by unticking it here. SMUp does this anyway, but it is easier to do it now, as sometimes SMBUp fails to disable it on system start.

Install SMBUp and unlock it with the padlock top-left (sometimes it doesn't appear, but you can still click the empty area). Click Add new shared drive to add the scan to folder. If you didn't create a new user for SMBUp you need to tick Allow Guest to allow Everyone access to the share.

If you created a user for SMBUp, click Manage Users and add the username and password. Click on Update once done and Save All to restart the service. SMBUp won't run on system start unless you add it to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items, onto any users who will use the Mac / Mac Server.

Most thanks Ruben for the detailed instructions, going to offer the client the option of the software. Pray for me if they say yes(lol). Will post what happens 2moro evening when i get home from work. Again as stated earlier thanks to all for your insight and experience.

Technician

I have some Kyocera FS-1035mfp/DP and some FS-1135mfp; was wondering if this proceedure would work on Mac 10.8 as well??

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    Maybe this helps.
    That document is great, however it doesn't specify how to open Port 139 if it isn't already open.

I had this once, got bored and left. Do you know the answer?