Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    KyleDrake

Re: F248 ... interesting!

I've seen this a few times! It is some errant data or the machine just can't format it. (Usually printing from internet). I like the idea of changing ip address of machine but, a bit difficult in a large network. Upgrading firmware usually does not help, even tho a good idea.

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    F248 ... interesting!

fonts.

print as bitmap minimizes occurance.

and tech support knows shit. got another enthusiastic IT for a client call tech support for another CF code, tech support says Motherboard.

we went, turns out its for the HDD.

CALL YOUR DEALER FIRST.
    Last edited by jmaister; 01-09-2015 at 12:27 AM.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post
    fonts.

print as bitmap minimizes occurance.

and tech support knows shit. got another enthusiastic IT for a client call tech support for another CF code, tech support says Motherboard.

we went, turns out its for the HDD.

CALL YOUR DEALER FIRST.
    Gotta love those ITs that blame network problems on the machine.. I had one that actually said "If I have two of the same machines and one is not working then it MUST be a machine problem" Turned out the "two users" that could not print where mapped to the wrong driver, and getting the IT to remap them to the server took an act of congress practically.

Technician

^^Agree. Print as bitmap has done great for us. We've had problems in the past with PDF, Google docs, and printing from browsers. All threw an F248. We haven't had any call backs for F248s on machines we've set to this. Not to say that we won't. But, so far so good.

Technician

We have also experienced the f248's. We have had some luck with turning off unit, unplugging the network cable, turning on the unit, waiting for it to come to ready, go to job listings page on the screen, then re-plugging in network cable. Many times, just for an instant you can see the station ID flash before f248 pops. Latest firmware also created some relief it appears. Depending on size of the network and users to that MFP, we have had each end-user power down their workstation, reboot, (clearing their print jobs) then having each user re-sending their jobs in series. Culprit is always identified. If too large of a network, I could see that scientific technique being less effective.

Additionally, make sure the latest driver is installed.

Good luck and may all of that particular family of units find their way to the floor, from three feet above, by accident.

Service Manager 100+ Posts eddie110171's Avatar

I've had these errors several times from the stupid Windows 8 WSD driver that it installs on its own.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Enduser has a Kyocera FS-C2526MFP, called Kyocera and talked with tech support. Tech support said: bad main board. They have a service contract so they call us with "Order us a main board ... ".

I don't know about you, but I don't usually base my actions on a customers diagnosis. It usually does not end up being accurate, and they expect us to eat the part cost when they're wrong, or end up sitting on that part forever. Besides, I have some experience with F248 codes.

The machine is Off upon arrival. I turn it On, and within a few minutes the F248 has popped up. Next I disconnect the network cable and power up: no code. Next I connect my laptop and ping, print, scan, and check the web interface: no code.

The thing I've seen is non-print data being sent to the printer's IP address, especially on large networks. I'm sure there's a way to pin down exactly what sender's IP address, Mac address, and what type of data, but the simplest solution is to change the printer's IP. No need to track down the source if it's sending to an open IP. Plus there are only three endusers in this area. Simplest just to change the port.

You'd think that tech support would have suggested the solution that was the simplest to test, most inexpensive, and needing no parts to fix. You'd think ... but I'll bet they like selling $1000 circuit boards too, necessary or not.

Does anyone have any experience with tracking down the source of this non-print data? I'd imagine Wireshark would be suitable. The problem is, on a really large network a huge amount of data is gathered within a very short period of time. Can you tell Wireshark to watch just one IP address, or a narrow range? And what kind of data can be gathered? Sender IP or Mac address, Date/Time, Port#, Data type? More?

=^..^=
    The dreaded but common F248 gets diagnosed and resolved generally at our service coordinators desk before it even gets to a tech these days. Exactly as you said, restart the machine without the network cable and one by one check the print queues of all the PCs on the network. Delete the offending job, plug back in and away you go. Generally it’s even ok when resending the offending job, which indicates a possible network glitch was responsible. Changing the port to LPR with byte counting “on” can assist or changing the print method at the offending PC especially if printing within a web browser or using a third party acrobat tool.
    I used Wireshark several years ago to track down the cause of a Toshiba becoming very slow to print. Turns out their IT support fitted a new gigabit switch and it was spamming the IP with IGMP packets. Wireshark was set to monitor only the copiers IP so we could monitor pretty easily what was happening. At the time we used a laptop next to the copier and plugged both into a four port hub (not a switch....can you still get hubs?) Line by line it showed what packets were sent to the machine. We could see print data coming thru, and ever increasing IGMP packets until it eventually was nothing but IGMP.
    After we showed IT support the evidence they swapped out the Gigabit switch. Problem solved. Only took us about 15 hours of our time F248 ... interesting!
    Changing the ip of the copier may resolve the problem if there is something on the network targeting that address, but then you need to change the port IP on each PC to suit. Ok if it’s only a few copiers. Generally we have found the issue is isolate to the one PC. We do a clean driver install, try LPR, confirm a good network connection etc.
    We have recently had two cases (one ongoing) where TA-356 will not wake in the morning. One light flashing on the display but will not wake up with button presses or print data. The one we solved began with a board change. Same result. So we asked the client to unplug it from the network over night. Bingo. When it was off the network it was fine in the morning. Plug it back in and it wasn’t
    I found on their server and old version of FM audit as well as a couple of other brand print monitor utilities. After removing these the issue was resolved. It appeared the machine didn’t appreciate being bombarded with snmp requests?
    The second one is ongoing and in the initial diagnosis phase.
    Wireshark may come out to play on this one. Will have to see in the next week or so.