Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

FS-3920DN Envelopes Having Toner Come Off

Get a call that they're specialty envelopes are having the toner rub off up until that point it was working for quite some time. We go replace the fuser same issue. This is with the optional envelope feeder attached. We bring back the envelopes and blank samples and try it on a FS-2020. Same result and btw the 2020 is brand new. So we have figured that the envelopes are the root cause. The customer says it is the same order like they have been doing but we can't find another cause of it. If we do regular envelope #10 white we don't have that issue. These are more velum type envelopes for a law firm. I have even gone in and done a custom FRPO code to change what the envelope setting is at. That did nothing as well. I guess it could be the toner but these were two different machines and two different toner lots.

They have other machines with no reported problems with printing envelopes. I am open to suggestions though and thank you for any help.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar

Re: FS-3920DN Envelopes Having Toner Come Off

Quote Originally Posted by eholyst View Post
    They have other machines with no reported problems with printing envelopes. I am open to suggestions though and thank you for any help.
    Are you running these in 'ENVELOPE ' mode ?
    You said these envelopes are like a velum, check the label on the box to see if these are OK for laser print .

Have you had them print these envelopes while you were on-site ?
    Personally , I would want to compare the ' no problem printing ' on the other machines with the 3920 .
    ( I do not know your client ... but ... you did say this was a law firm ; these folks are like politicians; you can not always believe what they say. )
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Technician

Yes it is in envelope mode. With the optional envelope feeder attached you don't have another choice. I unfortunatly have not had the luxary of seeing them print "good" envelopes from their location. I would think they were as this is the first and only case I have seen from this customer with this particular issue but I can't be certain.

I know exactly what you mean about the law firms. Once we replaced the fuser I had mentioned that there could be a slight chance it was the envelopes and if you just walked in you could swear I just insulted her first born. I will have to try to get them to print a few on another kyocera machine there.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

... I have even gone in and done a custom FRPO code to change what the envelope setting is at. ..
    What FRPO changes? Engine speed? Fuser temperature? Is the customer using the envelope pressure setting for the fuser? Have you tried calling it another media type to try to get better fusing? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Velum type paper will always have a problem fusing.
    The rougher the surface, the harder to fuse.

Heat alone will not fuse the toner to the paper.
    Velum paper has such a texture that the toner can't be pressed enough to fuse.

Someone in their office thought it would look good but either didn't ask if it would work or some Walmart salesman lied.

If you run one envelope with no image twice, the third with image will fuse.

It will prove to the customer it is the texture of the envelope causing the problem.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar

Kyocera sucks at envelope printing....run Forest run
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

Technician

Get a call that they're specialty envelopes are having the toner rub off up until that point it was working for quite some time. We go replace the fuser same issue. This is with the optional envelope feeder attached. We bring back the envelopes and blank samples and try it on a FS-2020. Same result and btw the 2020 is brand new. So we have figured that the envelopes are the root cause. The customer says it is the same order like they have been doing but we can't find another cause of it. If we do regular envelope #10 white we don't have that issue. These are more velum type envelopes for a law firm. I have even gone in and done a custom FRPO code to change what the envelope setting is at. That did nothing as well. I guess it could be the toner but these were two different machines and two different toner lots.

Envelopes are a crap-shoot. Buy them a Seiko USB Label Printer.

Technician

@blackcat4866-Just changed the fusing temp. It has no discernible effect though. They are using the envelope pressure setting for them. I tried changing the setting to other types still had no real effect.