Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Touch Panel Woes.....

Touch Panel Woes.....

My company is producing after market touch panels for KyoceraMita machines as well as many other brands such as KonicaMinolta, Canon, Ricoh, Toshiba, Lexmark and others.

We have practically no warranty returns for all brands except for panels for the KM 2560/3060 and KM 3050/4050 range of machines. When we test those returned panels, 99,5% of them are functional without any problems. Question: What's so special and/or critical in the KM 2560/3060 and KM 3050/4050 machines that techs feel that our panels are not working?

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Touch Panel Woes.....

Re: Touch Panel Woes.....

There are other reasons why touch panels can stop working:

1) Grit gets between the frame and the touch panel "pressing" an area, and consequently no other area will respond. I've heard of other techs that leave the panel mount screws loose. In my humble opinion this just lets more grit and larger grit into the panel. When installing these panels the tech should carefully clean the inside surface of the operation panel plastic, making sure it's smooth and free of grit.
    2) Panel software problems are relatively more common on these models. If you're experiencing panel firmware problems the machine will not display the normal "Ready" screen. It will either be all black or all blue ("the blue screen of death"). A new touch panel cannot resolve a firmware problem.
    3) When the Falcon III was first released the operation panel responded noticeably slow. Over several firmware upgrades the response sped up noticeably, but still slower than other models. A new touch panel won't do anything to improve the response speed. It's about the processor speed and current level of firmware. If I remember correctly Falcon III is at version 2.45a
    4) Leave the "beep" on for the touch panel. It lets the user know immediately that they pressed the button even if the screen hasn't changed yet. If you turn off the beep, endusers will use progressively greater force, trying to get the screen to change. It doesn't help of course, and results in broken panels. Definitely never use a pen or sharp implement. Fingers or soft tipped wand only. I especially like the wand that comes with the bizhub C224e.
    5) The ribbon cable that makes the connection is not very durable. If the pinch connector is not worked properly on installation, one or more contact(s) can peel back from the backing plastic.

I find it's helpful to tell endusers that if they hear a beep the command is received, even if the screen has just not changed yet.

Does that help at all? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Touch Panel Woes.....

Cat I still don't understand why techs are having so much problems with the KM 2560/3060 and KM 3050/4050 range of machines. On the contrary we have not a single return on the KM-C2520, KM-C2525E range yet though sold quantities are similar. There must be a critical unknown factor. Unfortunately I cannot communicate with those techs directly cause they are all outside of Germany and often in South and Eastern Europe. Strange that there was until now only one complaint from a local German customer. All the other came from outside the country. We already put stickers on the parts to inform the techs to clean the frame of the control panel well before installing our touch panel and also we inform them about the importance and necessity of the calibration procedure. What more could one do?

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Expert on The Obsolete 100+ Posts leroyal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Cat I still don't understand why techs are having so much problems with the KM 2560/3060 and KM 3050/4050 range of machines. On the contrary we have not a single return on the KM-C2520, KM-C2525E range yet though sold quantities are similar. There must be a critical unknown factor. Unfortunately I cannot communicate with those techs directly cause they are all outside of Germany and often in South and Eastern Europe. Strange that there was until now only one complaint from a local German customer. All the other came from outside the country. We already put stickers on the parts to inform the techs to clean the frame of the control panel well before installing our touch panel and also we inform them about the importance and necessity of the calibration procedure. What more could one do?

Hans
    I had a KM 5050 tablet go bad...after I installed a new one, I discovered it too was bad??? After putting back the original tablet, everything worked OK....loose cn's? Replacement tablet actually was bad....go figure.

So...................now I will disconnect and re-plug before replacing.
    I know what I know better than anyone else knows what I know.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Touch Panel Woes.....

I am assuming that as a final step, someone takes resistance readings across the display circuits. Perhaps you need to monitor these resistance readings, and possibly narrow down the acceptable range.

Not knowing much about your repair procedure, I can't really offer much on that topic. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=