Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Which course/class to take ?

I was just put in charge of tech training at my dealer. There's only one point I'm not sure about. I have a new trainee ( our delivery guy )..What should be the very first course he takes online? Dont see a basic one...????

Technician 500+ Posts

Re: Which course/class to take ?

It has been my experience that the manufacture has a certain model they use for newbies. It not only covers the machine, but also theory. Usually its a mid-volume machine. Say a 30PPM B/W machine Maybe contact the training department of the manufacture and see which machine they use. Not familiar with this manufacture.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

Kyocera doesn't really have a basic course. Some of the models do teach the basics in a limited form. When I was started on the training, I was told to do the KM1815 first, then KM1820. You might want to look at starting on the older models first, then move into the newer ones.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar

I agree with Zackuth .......
    Older / small mono unit ... then put a late model small unit in front of him and let him go thru the training modules for that unit.
    Let him take it apart , put it back together, and make it work.
    Our training instructor will take a working unit , put a BUG in it and make the new tech repair it.

HANDS ON always beats a book !

Training is easy now .... when I was coming up in the biz back in the 70's , you learned by the smashed, mashed, cut fingers and getting shocked, or burned on the high voltage units . ( AH the good ole days ) .
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Konica Minolta has a guide called "Troubleshooting the Digital Copier". It runs about 149 pages and covers things like dealing with the customer and collecting information about the problem. It goes on into Konica specific areas, but covers generic principles as well. Lots of good info on motors, clutches and sensors...isolating problem areas, etc. Publish date is 2000 and lists as Konica not KonicaMinolta.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I don't know if it's right for others, but it was right for me. I got my first training nearly 3 years after starting in the field. In 1989 we had recently placed hundreds of Mita DC-313Z analog copiers, which were also relatives to the DC-2105, DC-211, DC-213RE, DC-313ZD, DC-4055, and DC-4085. For the first full year that's all I did was to work on this one model.

By the time I got into class I felt like the expert. I had machines with 3M+ images. I'd seen the full life cycle of the machine. And I think I could have taught the class. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darry1322 View Post
    Konica Minolta has a guide called "Troubleshooting the Digital Copier". It runs about 149 pages and covers things like dealing with the customer and collecting information about the problem. It goes on into Konica specific areas, but covers generic principles as well. Lots of good info on motors, clutches and sensors...isolating problem areas, etc. Publish date is 2000 and lists as Konica not KonicaMinolta.
    I skimmed thru some of it myself. 50% of it is useless now. It does have some essentials, I wish km would update it and condense it.

I took the outward associate on km, it's essentially the basics to being a service tech. Again, 50% is useless. I mean they have crap like win95 printing basics? They could condense a lot of it to like 5 courses IMO.

Kyocera has has color basics and pre class course online. Most of their machines are online and courses are videos.

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar

newbie should stay in shop first tearing down scrap machines, then assisting with new set ups and ride alongs, then doing set ups and simple service calls alone, then training can start
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Does your company sell refurbished machines? I would have your guy strip a couple of old copiers down to the frames, do a thorough cleaning, and put it all back together with new consumable parts. You really get to know machines well when doing refurbs...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.