Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

KM4035 distorted image 35mm from trail edge

Having copy quality issue with a KM4035 meter count at 448K. Image is distorted on both copies and prints at the same location starting 35mm from the trail edge. Originally thought it might be the turnover assembly but happens at the same spot on both Letter and LetterR copies and prints. Used 2 separate trays with same problem. Image distortion is not as pronounced in the LetterR direction but you can still see the distortion. Please see attached document for the problem I am describing. Have already cleaned unit and PF components, drum, DV unit and fuser are in good condition. Going to take another turnover assembly and drum and DV units since it is close to PM. Hoping someone has seen this before with a possible solution.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort in this matter.

Bil

KM4035 copy quality.pdf

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts CraiginAK's Avatar

Re: KM4035 distorted image 35mm from trail edge

Sure looks like its hesitating in that area just tiny bit. I would pull registration assembly clean clutch, one ways on reg tires and shaft underneath. I assume its doing it out of all trays ?

I will give that a shot Craigin and take another unit just in case. It is happening from both tray 1 (8-1/2x11) and 2 (11x8-1/2). Didn't try any other paper sizes as it doesn't seem to be a repeating problem just happening at the trail edge.

Thank you.

Bil

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    KM4035 distorted image 35mm from trail edge

I'm going to make a guess that that 35mm is the exact distance between the drum transfer area and the registration roller.

Most likely the fuser is running a little slow (motor speed). It could be something mechanical like worn gears, or the drive motor. What's happening is that the paper is getting an increasing paper buckle between the drum and the fuser. When the trailing edge reaches the registration roller, the paper momentarily stalls, taking up the excess buckle.

Let me know what you find. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Look closely at the transfer roller springs. I have seen them cause a similar problem. Check the transfer roller bushings also.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bilyahn View Post
    Having copy quality issue with a KM4035 meter count at 448K. Image is distorted on both copies and prints at the same location starting 35mm from the trail edge. Originally thought it might be the turnover assembly but happens at the same spot on both Letter and LetterR copies and prints. Used 2 separate trays with same problem. Image distortion is not as pronounced in the LetterR direction but you can still see the distortion. Please see attached document for the problem I am describing. Have already cleaned unit and PF components, drum, DV unit and fuser are in good condition. Going to take another turnover assembly and drum and DV units since it is close to PM. Hoping someone has seen this before with a possible solution.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort in this matter.

Bil

KM4035 copy quality.pdf
    I've seen something similar on a Ricoh printer. The cause was a flat spot on the fuser pressure roller. Image transfer is smooth until the lead edge of copy enters the fuser, the fuser then tugs the paper causing image distortion, always in the same area.

Technician

Also, check the registration roller itself. I've seen the center wear on these faster than the edges. Take it out, lay it on a flat surface and see if the width of the roller is the same all the way across.

Was able to resolve this by going back and cleaning the paper feed unit rollers and registration rollers with Xenit (love that stuff)!! Thought I had cleaned these items well enough before but I guess not!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Have a great day!

Bil