Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    just another tech 100+ Posts

FS-4300DN Fuser issues

I have 2 Kyocera FS-4300DN printers in an office installed in October 2013 with 225K on each as of today. I know the yield for all the maintenance parts is 500K. Well, both of the upper heat rollers look terrible on the right half of the rollers. It's causing poor fusing and dirty prints down the left edge of the page. I plan on returning these for warranty, but has anyone seen this on these printers? If it were one printer, that's one thing, but both of them are doing it at around the same time.

They run plain, letter paper only. Firmware is up to date.

Other than this issue, these have run like a champ.
    Best rule for troubleshooting.
    K I S S Keep It Simple Stupid

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    FS-4300DN Fuser issues

Re: FS-4300DN Fuser issues

I checked the Release Bulletin, just because 500K sounds hugely unrealistic on a tabletop printer. It is accurate, but still hugely unrealistic. The KM-8030 fuser is rated at 500K, and built a whole lot differently. Regardless of what the bulletin says, I wouldn't expect more than 300K maximum. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I agree that it sounds too good to be true, but if they cover the warranty for 500K, then that's fine with me. Any table top printer that is 62 ppm, seems to good to be true anyway.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

There is a firmware update that is supposed to resolve that issue I think. Read the release notes for the firmware there is something in there about the heat roller getting stained and a firmware change to correct it.

"Measure to prevent a stain
    on heat roller
    The fuser temperature may increase sharply when turning the power ON or returning
    from sleep mode, causing an increase to the heat roller surface temperature. As a
    result, fuser offset may occur. If this occurs repeatedly, the toner adhered on the heat
    roller surface may not come off and the fuser roller may be stained, or black
    streaks/bands may appear on the image due to the stain. This has been corrected.

This problem tends to occur more often with intermittent output than continuous output."

This was on the 9/13 firmware. I have the firmware from 12/13 that's even newer than that though. And the customer runs about 40K per month per printer, so the intermittent output doesn't apply either.

I did notice that the part number has changed so that maybe they updated a part in the fuser unit.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

They say it's 500k for drum and developer only, but like blackcat said, don't expect much more above 300k. I had few (FS-4200DN though) with similar issue of oem toner adhering to the heat roller at about 200k printouts. You can take the fuser out and properly clean the heat roller untill it sticks again and so on. Or you can replace it, up to you. Firmware or anything else won't help you with this.

Overall, I am not really satisfied with these series when comparing it to the previous FS-4020DN, and when i saw the new mfp line built on FS-4200DN, i wasn't so happy about it, but that's just me.

Good luck.

In the first release of the printers the pressure springs are changed this is not common now only thing to due is replace the fuser.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    FS-4300DN Fuser issues

I had some 4200 do the same thing, Had to replace the fuser, under warranty from Kyo, and update the firmware. Units had 140- 160 K on them.

Larhal

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CWP View Post
    There is a firmware update that is supposed to resolve that issue I think. Read the release notes for the firmware there is something in there about the heat roller getting stained and a firmware change to correct it.
    When you log into KDA today; look for that new Firmware ....
    There was a bulletin released today about that staining issue.
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    FS-4300DN Fuser issues

Lightbulb Re: FS-4300DN Fuser issues

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $14.77 and downloaded immediately from:

http://www.justmanuals.com

Paul@justmanuals.com