Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awesome Sauce 250+ Posts User Name's Avatar

CS 255 - What do you think this is stuck to the UFR?

What do you guys think this is that was stuck to the UFR?

This is right after I started cleaning it off. The liquid on it is the WD-40 I was using to clean it.
    Dirty.jpg

It turned a milk-chocolate brown color as it dissolved and would flake off with some gentle scratching with my thumb nail.
    Still Dirty.jpg

It cleaned up nicely but I don't know why this substance stuck to it. This fuser unit only has 10k on it and the UFR doesn't look worn out.
    Clean.jpg
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: CS 255 - What do you think this is stuck to the UFR?

I'm going to guess it's toner. ?? Cleaning off toner on the CS-2050 series turns a brown color sometimes. Wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by MR Bill View Post
    I'm going to guess it's toner. ?? Cleaning off toner on the CS-2050 series turns a brown color sometimes. Wierd.
    That's what I thought it was too but my boss is positive it's not that because it isn't black.

But my cleaning it with the WD-40 may have started to turn it brown? I didn't take a pic before I started cleaning so it may have been black beforehand. Idk. I hate when my boss questions my judgement.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

It is really hard to clean the upper fuser rollers for some reason. Takes me 15 minutes sometimes. I use fedron, alcohol,dispersant. Fedron works the best I think. BUT the black toner on the fuser roller is black and then cleaning with a solvent turns it brown. Like I said , really wierd. Next time let your boss clean it.

It is definitely toner! It happens on other models as well. As BlackCat pointed out in another thread, to improve first copy/print out time the unit produces a page before the fuser is completely up to temperature when coming out of power saver mode. A small amount of toner adheres to the UFR which over time then becomes noticeable and is "brown". We had a number of units that exhibited this problem. Increasing the time before the unit goes into low power or sleep mode seems to have solved it for us. Thank BlackCat for the heads up.

I am going with a transparancy that was hot rated for copiers.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts copymech's Avatar

It could be special sauce. If customer had a party at the office the night before.

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar

Check that the customer is not using inkjet paper, the coating can come off in the fuser
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    It is definitely toner! It happens on other models as well. As BlackCat pointed out in another thread, to improve first copy/print out time the unit produces a page before the fuser is completely up to temperature when coming out of power saver mode. A small amount of toner adheres to the UFR which over time then becomes noticeable and is "brown". We had a number of units that exhibited this problem. Increasing the time before the unit goes into low power or sleep mode seems to have solved it for us. Thank BlackCat for the heads up.
    This particular customer doesn't make a great deal of copies so it could possible that machine is going to sleep between every copy job. I'll check the settings next time I'm there. Thanks for the tip!

Of course, it could also be that the toner we sell to customers is less than OEM. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerkiller View Post
    I am going with a transparancy that was hot rated for copiers.
    I've had transparencies get stuck to a fuser before and this didn't remind me of that and I really doubt this particular customer (a Dr's office) would need to make transparencies. Thank you for the opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by copymech View Post
    It could be special sauce. If customer had a party at the office the night before.
    Why don't they ever invite me to their parties?

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    Check that the customer is not using inkjet paper, the coating can come off in the fuser
    That's not a bad idea to check that the next time I have to go there for this problem. Thanks!
    O.o

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Did you qualify whether it was generic or OEM toner? I had a really bad case of generic toner on the developing roller and fuser of a FalconII.

It looked exactly like what you've got, and it was definitely generic toner. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=