just another tech 100+ Posts

Unhappy FS-4300DN 0501 jam

I have a Kyocera FS-4300DN printer with a 0501 jamming issue. It is not everytime, but still frequent. Also, it is never the first print, it's always after it has printed several. When it jams, it is consistently the same jam, in the same spot give or take an inch or so. It usually jams every 20 or so, but sometimes will feed up to a hundred or so. The paper from Tray 1 is pulled out of the cassette by the tray 1 feed rollers, and then gets onto the 2 big middle feed rollers and jams. You remove the image formation unit and sometimes you can see the paper from looking in the machine. Usually you cannot, and must retrieve from the cassette, then, of course, there is a paper jammed halfway through the exit unit. The paper is always out of the fuser rollers in the exit rollers. The jam code is “0501 No paper feed of jam - The registration sensor 2 (RS2) does not turn on during paper feed from cassette 1." This sensor is located on the bottom of the drum unit. It never jams while feeding from the bypass. Only jams from tray 1. That eliminates most of the paper path. (There are no other trays added to this machine)

What I have done to troubleshoot:
    Current firmware has been reflashed twice.
    Thoroughly cleaned the middle feed rollers
    Replaced the tray 1 feed tires (as a unit)
    Used 2 different new drum units to verify the RS2 works although it jams before getting there
    Replaced the Paper Feed Drive pack with 2 different new units (has 2 clutches and 1 solenoid)
    Replaced the entire tray 1 cassette with a new one
    Most recently,
    Replaced the tray 1 lift motor (that one was no fun)
    Replaced the tray 1 lift sensor

After talking to the Kyocera techline, they had me leaning toward an issue with lifting the paper to the tires so that’s why the cassette, lift motor, and lift sensor were replaced. No difference from those, though. I called Kyocera again and they basically said good luck, we have no other suggestions.

My next step, I guess, would be a wiring harness for the paper feed clutches since one kind of looks like it was pinched at one time, but that may be reaching. However, I don’t see the wiring harness in the parts list.

Or possibly a main PWB.

Please let me know of any suggestions.
    Best rule for troubleshooting.
    K I S S Keep It Simple Stupid

Re: FS-4300DN 0501 jam

BTW, the printer has 270,000 prints on it and a recently installed fuser because of the roller staining recall issues.

Expert on The Obsolete 100+ Posts leroyal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nathansipe View Post
    BTW, the printer has 270,000 prints on it and a recently installed fuser because of the roller staining recall issues.
    Check the tip of the fuser exit switch. Lots of broken ones out there.
    I know what I know better than anyone else knows what I know.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

FS-4200DN strange jams

Summary: Replace 3 paper feed pulleys and check if the spring under the paper feed assy is missing.

Thank you Kyo Fan. I can't believe it. I've been racking my brain, thinking that it had to be something simple. That link was exactly it. I checked and there is no spring.

The good thing is I've learned a ton about this printer and how it assembles. Thanks again.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

You're welcome m8, this website is the best troubleshooting tool, just after service manual.

I was wondering if you had any tips on how to remove the tray 1 lift motor

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts B0265's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andflop View Post
    I was wondering if you had any tips on how to remove the tray 1 lift motor
    There is a bulletin (2LV-0032 in Europe) about replacing some cluthes. In the part that describes how to replace the duplex clutch it is shown how remove the "cassette right guide", the lift motor is mounted in this unit.

Note
    There is another bulletin (2LV-0043) that mentiones a broken shaft in this cassette right guide, perhaps you need to replace this part rather than the lift motor.

ramaboss

Thumbs up Re: FS-4300DN 0501 jam

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo fan View Post
    FS-4200DN strange jams

Summary: Replace 3 paper feed pulleys and check if the spring under the paper feed assy is missing.
    thank you! you have very much helped me, i have had the same problem as at nathansipe. All problem was in a spring

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nathansipe View Post
    Thank you Kyo Fan. I can't believe it. I've been racking my brain, thinking that it had to be something simple. That link was exactly it. I checked and there is no spring.

The good thing is I've learned a ton about this printer and how it assembles. Thanks again.
    Don't you just hate it when it's something this simple...Fortunately or unfortunately we have all been there....

P.S. That missing spring can also produce paper multi-feeds..

Cheers.