Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

KM 5050 Image shifted & line appears on paper

Hi guys,

Last few days I was cleaning my machine. I pulled out drum, charger etc, lubricated some gears, removed "Registration clutch (RCL)".
    After I put them back machine started printing wrong. The image is moved up or left depending how my paper is positioned in cassette and a line appears on the paper.
    If I put more pages to print on cassette 1 machine gets a paper jam , cassette 2 doesn't get jam.
    I can't figure out what is the problem. Drum looks ok and I did a refresh.

DSC_0088.JPGDSC_0089.JPG
    Last edited by Crni; 07-24-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: KM 5050 Image shifted & line appears on paper

I tried the U034 LSU OUT LEFT but nothing happens. I noticed that the amount of image displacement is changing. Sometimes goes a little bit left sometimes a lot.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts DWise's Avatar

Is it feeding portrait or landscape? Have you checked/cleaned Registration Roller?

Also, check settings in paper cassette tray.
    Do for one what you wished you could do for everyone. - Andy Stanley

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I'd say reg.sensor or reg. clutch badly assembled. (Have you 40-it with Wicious Delicious or used just IPA)

The first image is Lanscape and the second is Portrait am I right? You have a delay on paper transport and I think the clutch will be worth looking at. Check for the feed unit being properly installed. Is it within the slide? Are the gears mounts OK? I had one feed unit which had cracked casing (the nipps for the slider) and it was doing the same. Option two the sliders can be cracked or broken when feed unit is forced or incorrectly inserted and doors are after slammed. Those slides are fun to replace. Good Luck

Let us know how did it go.
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Service Manager 250+ Posts kkendric's Avatar

How was it printing/copying
    before you took it apart?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Naturally, if it was working OK before you started, you can be sure you caused the problem. Start by re-examining the things you did. WD-40 is a horrible thing for copiers (with the exception of cleaning metal only components, or rubber rollers). Plastic parts melt.

My suggestion is to get the WD-40 out of your bag. If you damaged the registration clutch, don't bother damaging it more by sanding the plates. Just replace the registration clutch ... and learn from the experience. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by habik View Post
    I'd say reg.sensor or reg. clutch badly assembled. (Have you 40-it with Wicious Delicious or used just IPA)

The first image is Lanscape and the second is Portrait am I right? You have a delay on paper transport and I think the clutch will be worth looking at. Check for the feed unit being properly installed. Is it within the slide? Are the gears mounts OK? I had one feed unit which had cracked casing (the nipps for the slider) and it was doing the same. Option two the sliders can be cracked or broken when feed unit is forced or incorrectly inserted and doors are after slammed. Those slides are fun to replace. Good Luck

Let us know how did it go.
    Well I didn't use WD40. Reg clutch was a bit rusty so I cleaned it with cotton sticks and a bit of oil which is non-conducting oil . I checked it and it works but can't tell if it is to weak or something. May be badly assembled(have to check). I also pulled out white reg.roler but you can't do a mistake there (I think)
    Where is the reg.sensor positioned? Somehow I didn't notice any sensors back there.
    Habik i think a delay problem is very good assumption but problem is to find what caused it. If the feed unit plastic was damaged wouldn't it jam on cassette 2 also? Atm cassette 2 works fine transferring the paper but the delay is also present. Cassette 1 goes much faster and then machine stops (jams code) cos the paper comes into feed in wrong timing?

Also is it possible that I put to much lubricating grease on that group of gears that reg.clutch is part of ?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Naturally, if it was working OK before you started, you can be sure you caused the problem. Start by re-examining the things you did. WD-40 is a horrible thing for copiers (with the exception of cleaning metal only components, or rubber rollers). Plastic parts melt.

My suggestion is to get the WD-40 out of your bag. If you damaged the registration clutch, don't bother damaging it more by sanding the plates. Just replace the registration clutch ... and learn from the experience. =^..^=
    First I am 99,9% sure that I am to blame for this
    Can you explain exactly what is the role of reg.clutch? How will I know the clutch is damaged? Cos for now it clicks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crni View Post
    First I am 99,9% sure that I am to blame for this
    Can you explain exactly what is the role of reg.clutch? How will I know the clutch is damaged? Cos for now it clicks
    The registration clutch ( along with the registration sensor ) aligns the lead edge of the image with the lead edge of the paper.

You can tell if it's damaged by testing the machine with a new clutch to see if it solves your problem.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Oil is a bad thing for electromagnetic clutches. Oil makes them slip. You would be better served by cleaning with alcohol. As their name implies, electromagnetic clutches use magnetism to engage the drive, and the best results are achieved when the clutch plates are dry, and clean, and smooth as possible. Sanding makes them rougher. Don't sand or buff. Just wash with alcohol. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=