Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    byteexp

fs8520 high cost of toner (asia) effects of using compatible toner

good day, i am from south pacific area, and toner price here is so high $186/color, compared to #90+ dollar is us / europe counter part.
    thinking about using compatible toner kit but was thinking about the damages it may incur
    also the yield / cost of fs8520 is lower compared to the same models of other brands (e.g. sharp 1810ux @ 15k (k), 10k (cmy)
    also yield / cost of fs8520 is lower compared higher models (e.g. taskalpha 3050ci is at 20k(k), 10k (cmy)

what would be the possible effects of using compatbiles:

how long before the fault/problems caused by compatible arise (1st use / 6months / 1year) -

if i save around 100usd a month @ 12 months - it would be able to cover the cost of the machine

thanks

* kindly delete if it is prohibited.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: fs8520 high cost of toner (asia) effects of using compatible toner

Seems to me the price per box (machine) is cheaper on your side.

Lets Trade:
    We supply you with toners and you supply us with machines

Regards using Generic toners I have already made my mark and not going to expand / expose my feelings about non OEM products. There is a lot about it on the net!
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts DWise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byteexp View Post
    how long before the fault/problems caused by compatible arise (1st use / 6months / 1year)
    There is no set time when issues will arise from using generic toner. Problems could begin as soon as putting in the first toner, or they could hold off a year or so. Do yourself a favor and shop around for the best OEM toner, and buy it.

Just my $0.02.
    Do for one what you wished you could do for everyone. - Andy Stanley

byteexp

Quote Originally Posted by DWise View Post
    There is no set time when issues will arise from using generic toner. Problems could begin as soon as putting in the first toner, or they could hold off a year or so. Do yourself a favor and shop around for the best OEM toner, and buy it.

Just my $0.02.

thanks for the advise

machine price here is USD 4571 / bought it @ USD 2409
    savings / set is around USD 454
    compatible is like USD 227 (dont know about import duties and taxes)
    would have been better if the price in US and price here is the same - $USD88x 4colors = , ill go for oem.

will i be able to revert to old toner as soon as i notice something like molting after using generic, how will i be able to remove the charged toners.

im thinking about "tomoegawa" based toners.

thanks again.

certified scrub 500+ Posts

unless you can prove the toner is formulated for Kyocera's

drum
    developer
    fuser(yes fuser, cuz some aftermarket toner somehow shorten the life of them on smaller machines, and manager wouldnt admit it).

you are asking for trouble.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

The only way to remove generic toner is to replace whole developing units (at significant cost).

In dual component development, the toner is mixed in ~7% ratio with developer. Once it's mixed in, the only way to remove it is to consume it, or replace the developing unit.

Here's an example: I had a customer that could not print because they were out of magenta toner. What did they do? They forced a cyan toner cartridge to fit. About two weeks later I got the service call for "purple copies". Yes, everything looked purple, after all, now there are two sources of cyan, and no source of magenta. I removed the incorrect toner color cartridge and installed magenta. Then I ran 50% fill prints of magenta until I had consumed all the cyan toner. It was easy to tell: The images gradually turned from cyan to magenta. It took approximately 75 prints at 50% fill. Naturally that number is going to vary, depending on how much developer your particular model holds.

Other possible side affects of using generic toner can be flipped drum blades, broken waste toner augers, toner buildup on the developing roller, toner build up on the fuser, poor fusing, poor image quality, excessive toner usage, and increased waste toner collection. Does that sound like something you'd like to try?

IMHO the potential for cost savings here is severely outweighted by the potential for costly repairs as a result of your use of generic toner.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=