Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awesome Sauce 250+ Posts User Name's Avatar

M3540idn with a terrible squeaking noise

First, let me just say I now hate this machine. It has about 10k pages on it and it's developed a really bad squeak. It happens when the main drive is turning while warming up and making copies, and It sounds like it's coming from the right-side of the machine. I've tried replacing everything in the maintenance kit one at a time to see if any of those units where the problem and they were not. Yesterday I took out the main drive (the service manual is missing sooo many steps for removing the drive by the way) and lubed it and everything else on that side of the machine I could. There are a bunch more gears under the frame of the machine that I couldn't get to without much more tear-down so I put a few drops of lubricant of them as best I could and I put it back together and the damn thing is still squeaking.

So, do you guys have any advice on how I can pinpoint this noise? There doesn't seem to be any U30 or motor test so I can keep it running to try and troubleshoot, I have to make copies to keep the motor turning so it will keep making the noise and I should mention this noise will come and go with different intensities as it see fit. Have any of you had a noise issue on one these models that you remember and could give me an idea of what to lubricate? Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance!
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: M3540idn with a terrible squeaking noise

I've found squeaking on these models to be the exit unit area sound due to dirt between metal and plastic. Remove the fuser and check the area above it. The goal is to find all the black plastic rollers (they come in pairs), remove them and wipe witch alcohol the metal bar they are spinning on.

If it doesn't help, than it could be this: 2LW-018.pdf but this would produce different sound (teeth skipping).

Good luck.

Technician

Have you tried cleaning or replacing any feed clutches?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo fan View Post
    I've found squeaking on these models to be the exit unit area sound due to dirt between metal and plastic. Remove the fuser and check the area above it. The goal is to find all the black plastic rollers (they come in pairs), remove them and wipe witch alcohol the metal bar they are spinning on.

If it doesn't help, than it could be this: 2LW-018.pdf but this would produce different sound (teeth skipping).

Good luck.
    The rollers on the rear exit door had a little bit of a squeak that was separate from the other louder squeak I'm currently troubleshooting. I took care of that one.

The model I'm working on is a new model M3540 and not an older FS-3540 so I'm thinking this won't apply but thanks for posting that bulletin. It'll come in handy if any of the FS-3540s I have out there start having that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cm79 View Post
    Have you tried cleaning or replacing any feed clutches?
    I've had both of the assemblies that have all the clutches on the right-side of the machine out and I lubricated all the gears and shafts in them but I didn't mess around with the clutches themselves for fear of breaking them. I haven't had to mess with the clutches on Kyoceras much at all yet. Do they come apart to allow for cleaning of the inner parts?
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

Technician
    If you know what your doing it's an ok job. You can run the machine without the side covers and hear if the clutches are squeaky. But if your not sure about opening up the clutches I would say to replace the clutch pack.

Quote Originally Posted by cm79 View Post
    If you know what your doing it's an ok job. You can run the machine without the side covers and hear if the clutches are squeaky. But if your not sure about opening up the clutches I would say to replace the clutch pack.
    If the clutches can be opened up, I can do it but I'm not sure it's one of those yet. I have run it without the covers on and it's still very hard for me to tell exactly where the squeak is coming from. It doesn't remind me of a clutch squeak that I've heard on other brands with noisy clutches but I can't rule it out. Thanks for the info!
    O.o

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

My bad on that different model bulletin, i'm getting old.

M3540idn is rather new model and not many fixes out for it yet. If in your case, you feel like the sound is coming from the back (fuser) area, you could check this one out: 2LV-006.pdf

It's not specifically for the M3540idn, but it's the same device since it's built upon these. Also, upgrade the firmware to the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo fan View Post
    My bad on that different model bulletin, i'm getting old.

M3540idn is rather new model and not many fixes out for it yet. If in your case, you feel like the sound is coming from the back (fuser) area, you could check this one out: 2LV-006.pdf

It's not specifically for the M3540idn, but it's the same device since it's built upon these. Also, upgrade the firmware to the latest.
    No problem. They really shouldn't keep the models numbers so similar between consecutive generations.

Pretty certain it's not coming from the fuser area and I presume that Kyocera would have manufactured this newer model with the updated parts. Thanks for this bulletin as well though! I kinda thought these models were a tad loud! Why don't they put the Service Bulletins with the Technical Bulletins on KDAconnect? I never get around to finding these things.
    O.o

Technician

I had this issue...I replaced the drum and dv...not sure which one it was but it took care of the squealing.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts