Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

CS 3550ci 5109 jam when envelopes exiting to finisher

3550ci with a simple finisher. Ok, so plain paper exits fine. It's when the machine feeds more slowly, like on envelopes to the top of the finisher...as soon as the envelope touches the top exit rollers, they lock up and it stops feeding, showing a 5019 jam. If it's feeding quickly, like it does on plain media type, there are never any jams.

While rotating the rollers backwards (in the opposite direction as feeding) I felt some play, and heard a click....then it started feeding envelopes perfectly. So I took the side cases off, and removed the attachment kit exit assembly to inspect further. All belts are fine, and the gears mesh up well. Put it back together, and it worked flawlessly. I tested it with 50 envelopes.

Today, they've called back with the same issue. To be absolutely clear, I'm talking about the exit tray on top of the 1,000 sheet finisher. Not the "Main Tray". Envelopes won't feed to the main tray. Any ideas, or has anyone seen this issue before? Thanks.
    Last edited by Xferunit; 11-18-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Re: CS 3550ci 5109 jam when envelopes exiting to finisher

Did you ever figure this out?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Check the page setup of the document. I just had a school that was running 110 lb Index Statement size cards for mailing. But the person that created the document had the page setup as 6x9 which output to the top of the 1,000 sheet finisher. When page setup was changed to Statement (5.5x8.5) they started exiting to the main tray.

Here's the kicker thought, they have a 5551ci down the hall with a 1,000 sheet finisher. As a test I set up the 5551ci machine exactly the same and sent the wrong size page setup (6x9) doc to the Statement size paper in the MP Tray and it fed just fine and kicked it out to the Main Tray of the finisher.

The drivers are on the server and their on site IT guy was on vacation so there wasn't anything I could do except have the office manager request he upgrade them. Now I see a new driver was just release again yesterday KX Driver ver. 7.1.0330

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SBEANE View Post
    I know what is wrong. You have to take the drive out for the ak (the drive that is behind the bridge unit). inside there are two oneways, that need cleaned. Be careful when you take that drive apart, there are only a couple of gears and spacers, but they may fall out. It is a task but not too bad. For some reason the slower speed lets it jam.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The shafts that the two one-way clutches ride on will be worn down, and that makes them intermittent. It's best to just replace the AK drive pack.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparkycivic View Post
    The shafts that the two one-way clutches ride on will be worn down, and that makes them intermittent. It's best to just replace the AK drive pack.
    The ones I have encountered were jamming on every envelope. The oneways were very greasy. Just cleaning that grease off of the oneways has worked for me.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SBEANE View Post
    I did. If memory serves it was one of the clutches in the bridge drive unit.

I took the unit apart, and cleaned the clutch. Started working.

Good luck!