Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Kyocera/Copystar Techs Input Needed Please

Kyocera/Copystar Techs Input Needed Please

My Background:

I worked on Kyocera during their heyday of the Falcon (2530-5050)

Questions:

Is Kyocera still a tech-friendly machine? (Simple, logical part design and access)

Does Kyocera still have "plain english" service mode? (motor, clutch, sensor testing...no binary switches where actual WORDS would do, etc)

Are "computer-side" failures still rare? (harddrive, freezing, crashes, firmware, overall board replacements)

Is it still likely for a Kyocera to run PM to PM? (excluding op errors)

Would you recommend a tech getting back into Kyocera?

Thanks guys!

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Re: Kyocera/Copystar Techs Input Needed Please

I've only worked on Kyo/Copystar equipment for three years. While there are some things I like and liked about them, I would stay away.

Supposedly the new updated TaskAlfa's are good, but we got out of them when they started rolling out.

I cant stand the service/parts manuals for Kyocera.. For example you need to find a sensor or motor, are called different things, and may not have instructions to remove said part. I run into that a lot more than Konica Minolta.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

We sell Kyoceras and they are a decient machine. THe machine parts will normally make maintenance, and for the most part they are tech friendly. The engineers have redesigned the covers so that you have to remove 15 or so covers (at least that is how it seems to me) to get to where you're going. We have very little problems with them and have nearly 100 of the new series in the field. The only thing is that lately we have had 3 HDD failures on the previous version--the 00 series, but Kyocera has redesigned the HDD so maybe that problem is fixed.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I have worked on Minolta's, Konica's. Then about 15 years ago we went to Kyocera. I love them. Tech and user friendly. High PM interval.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts DallasTech's Avatar

I'm a manager for a Kyocera\Xerox\Muratec dealer. I think Kyocera is my favorite brand, all around to support and work on. All of the newer Task Alfa machines likes the 3500i, 4550ci, 5551ci, 5501i, are all pretty good machines. They do have the occasional issues, but generally they run to PM's without problems. We have not had weird board issues, or software problems, we always take the firmware with us when doing a service call, it's a 15 minute procedure to update via USB and it's done. Their print drivers are pretty solid, just make sure you are using the latest KX driver and you won't have any issues. Their service mode and interface is the same throughout their whole product line, which is a big plus to any technician or support person. The customers seems to really like the machines, they are easy to use and have all the bells and whistles like AirPrint. Definitely the best connected device I've worked with as far as simplicity and consistency.

The 300ci\400ci series of color machines did have some color consistency problems, but as long as the customer wasn't using them for high toner coverage, we didn't see many issues. The newer boxes don't have that problem. Another cool thing about the newer ones is the print tables they have loaded. You can mimic the color profiles of most other manufacturers, so if your customer is used to Xerox or Canon color, switch the profile in service mode, restart the machine and you have a happy customer. I think the parts and service manuals are really good on the Kyocera stuff, compared to other manufacturers and my time in the automotive service industry, I don't really see a problem with them.

monstott2010

Personally I think they are decent machines.... I worked on Copystar line for two years, left for 3 and came back 4 years ago... was able to jump right back in with very little adjustment time... I'm sure all lines have their little quirks just like Kyocera/Copystar, but over all they are easy to service. I also work on Toshiba machines which are much more labor intensive to service, their quality is normally great, but when they require service its much harder than Kyo...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I agree to what most have said. Kyocera is by far the better tech friendly machines I work on. I came into Kyocera 3 yrs ago from the Xerox line as our local office was purchased by Canon. Working with Xerox, Canon, Ricoh, Toshiba, the Kyocera line from Desktop to "production" is very solid. PM cycles are pretty good, but costly when it has to be done. Always important "bring firmware" to every call as 75% of issues are resolved with firmware updates (that I have seen personally).
    Most Canon dealers bailed on Canon around 2011- 2012 timeframe and jumped to Kyocera as the profit margins are much higher, 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty for all Parts. We have about 50 Kyocera in the field ranging from desktop to TA 7500 line and aside from the occasional drum lock up on the C5400 series they are humming along with minimum interaction from the service side.

They are ok but the km5050 was my favorite, open the drawer (you don't even need to remove the drawer) 1 screw and the feeds slide out, on the newer 4550ci its 9 screws, a door held by a silly check strap that's awkward, two panels the back one is trapped by another panel so you have to take a screw out of that, the wiring loom to disconnect one for each feed and remove from the loom clips and thats just to get the feeds out, putting them back is the reverse but the covers can be a fiddle to refit. To remove one of the drums and to get into the drum cavity you need to open the side door 3 screws and remove the front cover, unclip the back cover 4 screws to remove the side door, 1 screw in the fuser loom cover and remove cover, 2 looms to disconnect, 4 screws and remove fuser, 1 loom and lift and pull the transfer belt, open front door, open and remove toner bottle assy, 1 screw and open loom cover disconnect loom, 4 screws and release all 4 toner cartridges 2 latches to release inner front cover, 2 looms for each drum and dev pair, now you can get the drum out, but you probably want to take them all out and vac because they run pretty dirty, and you need to make sure the lasers are clean otherwise after you have put it all back you may get a white line and have to take it all out again (Ugh). Fuser comes as an assy so do the drums, dev and transfer units so that is easy, three year warranty so most of the bugs in a machine are sorted and hopefully no issues for the last 2 years that most are out, copy quality is no match for the Konica Minolta been working on both for at least 30 years, lots of schools have the Kyoceras, quite a few modifications and firmware is easy. One KX driver does all the machines in the range. Parts manuals are good, field service manuals are ok but not as good as the Minolta ones but the website for techs works well, the minolta one is a nightmare.
    The Wizard

To the Pessimist the glass is half empty
    To the Optimist the glass is half full
    To the copier engineer...
    The wrong glass has been supplied, it should be 50% smaller Haha

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

I think DALLAS TECH synopsis is pretty good. In addition, i would look at the warranty also. new they are 3 yrs accessories and mk kit. so for three years you don't have parts headaches. [ for dealers only. check you area dealer to confirm ]. that is a big plus. Boot up time is fast, very fast. You also have a turbo mode option for firmware, where only the items that needs updating is done. this saves time and time is money.
    They have ironed out issues with fusers and colour quality that in the past was not up with the competition. Their manuals are easy to use once you get use to them, in fact quite easy and sensor and switches diagnostic modes are easy to run. Their tech support is good too and the guys are knowledgeable in my opinion and response time is quick. I hardly use them. They also have a tech bulletin site for references, but a bit difficult to get information easily.
    All machines will eventually have its quirks as you know, and maybe that's a good thing. something for us to do. Their smaller mfp's can take a beating and thier printers also. all in all dam good machines i would say.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Fuser units 80k, 110k, 125k, they go through many fusers...