Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

205c 255c Not recognizing developer units

We have a Kyocera Copystar 255c in the shop that we had to replace the toner nozzle for cyan (got clogged). After, pulling and reinstalling the front panel (the gray plastic housing that secures the dev/drum units, has "E" and "G" indicators), replacing the nozzle, etc., we get the message developer units C/Y/M/K not installed. I've check interface board at the machine back where the dev/drum units connect, connector cable that run to the Engine Connect PWB, etc. no luck. Any thoughts?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: 205c 255c Not recognizing developer units

push on the front door firmly and then power on the machine, then see if it comes ready. the dev locking device on that machine is a very bad design and it has to be installed properly. If the machine worked ok before, and now giving this error, then take it apart and reinstall again. Also you can cheat the front door and push on the grey dev locking door and power up.

But as to the error message, are you using non-oem toner?.

If the below does not solve ,try using the prescribe command that resets the engine.
    someone on the forum can give you that.

Below is from the user manual troubleshooting page...

—Press the System Menu/Counter key,
    [Adjustment/Maintenance], [Service
    Setting] and then [Reset Disable
    Function Mode]. Press [Execute] to
    perform Reset Disable Function Mode

Developer unit is not installed
    [C][M][Y][K]
    — Replace the developer unit (g) to our
    specified developer unit. See the leaflet
    supplied with the developer unit.

Drum unit is not installed.
    [C][M][Y][K]
    — Replace the drum unit (f) to our
    specified drum unit. See the leaflet
    supplied with the drum unit for details.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

OEM toner is being used.

I can't get to the Service Mode to reset disabled selection fast enough before the error message reappears.

I have repaired quite a few of these machines. Not many problems with them except that front assy that holds the dev unit. At times i had to remove and reinstall many times to get that assy sitting right, as all kind of problems crop up, mainly the message close front door, and i fix this by adding a piece to the actuator that sits in the front cover. when you close the cover it does not push on the switch enough and sometime in the middle of printing all kind of jam and message will pop up. The grey door is to keep the dev pushed in and keep the connectors of the dev in contact with the connectors located on the inside rear of the machine.
    Anyone who has worked on these should affirm this i would think, because i see it in all the machines that comes back for repair or refurbish.
    Again did go back over your work, when you removed and reinstalled the front dev locking assy. If you did not have the problem before, then it should not occur just by replacing the part. Everyone makes errors and sometime when you go over your work you discover the cause, sometimes it works without explanation.

You replied when i posted the menus, but in my earlier post, i mentioned to redo what you done the first time. you did not mentioned if you did so in you last reply.

let us know how this was solved.. Also remove one of the dev and leave the other three in, power on the machine as see what happens, it should generate an error code.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

we've disassembled and reassembled 8 or 9 times.... we'll keep trying.

cbs, i think 8 or 9 times is more than enough in rechecking your repair. Then look at he service manual and see the connections to that lead to the engine pwb.
    OR you may have to replace the devs, which i really think you should not have to.. let us know what was the resolution to this problem....