Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ChristianW

Prescribe for Taskalfa 3551ci

Hi,

I've received a Kyocera Taskalfa 3551ci with the 4000 stacker and mailboxes.
    My task is to setup a logical printer per mailbox which only allows to print to the specified mailbox ignoring the settings in the print driver.

I assume it's done by Start of Job String and End of Job String. I've already tried Kyocera support but they can't help. The Kyocera person in the showroom said that it can be done by Prescribe and logical printers.

I.e.
    IP 10.25.8.161 Port 9101 should always print to output tray (mailbox) 3
    IP 10.25.8.161 Port 9102 should always print to output tray (mailbox) 4
    IP 10.25.8.161 Port 9103 should always print to output tray (mailbox) 5

Can anyone help?

Regards,
    Christian

Re: Prescribe for Taskalfa 3551ci

You need the prescribe manual and I don't know how much that will help. If you put a manual request in at the manual request thread you may get it. I have the old out dated version (!)

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Prescribe for Taskalfa 3551ci

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianW View Post
    Hi,

I've received a Kyocera Taskalfa 3551ci with the 4000 stacker and mailboxes.
    My task is to setup a logical printer per mailbox which only allows to print to the specified mailbox ignoring the settings in the print driver.

I assume it's done by Start of Job String and End of Job String. I've already tried Kyocera support but they can't help. The Kyocera person in the showroom said that it can be done by Prescribe and logical printers.

I.e.
    IP 10.25.8.161 Port 9101 should always print to output tray (mailbox) 3
    IP 10.25.8.161 Port 9102 should always print to output tray (mailbox) 4
    IP 10.25.8.161 Port 9103 should always print to output tray (mailbox) 5

Can anyone help?

Regards,
    Christian
    What you say sounds right. Kyocera support can help, but will need to see dollars before they will do so. I was placed in a similar position, expected to write PS2 tray commands in prepended PreScribe commands.

I can give you a rough idea, general outline of how to approach this project.
    1) Set up you MFP in shop, with the driver you intend to use on your PC (preferably PCL6, PS3 commands will be huge).
    2) Download Textpad or XVI32 text editor, and LPR Jar to send your data captures to the MFP.
    3) Learn how to set up the driver defaults to get the desired effect in the finisher.
    4) Send one of these successful print jobs as a print-to-file, for examination with the text editor.
    5) Isolate the mailbox command, via trial and error, and using your PreScribe manual.
    6) Compose the prepended command on the logical port you desire. Again much trial and error.

This all sounds really easy ... until you have to learn how to do it from scratch (or with a few encouraging words from a Kyocera engineer).
    It took me about a week to get my setup running correctly on two models. The third took longer.

Be prepared to kill the unsuccessful print jobs, and load only a small amount of paper. If you were ... say to delete a crucial command, so that the MFP could not execute the print job correctly, you might get a giant PostScript error. That is, 1200 pages of smiley faces and hearts and flowers, one line per page, thousands of pages. This is what happens when the MFP cannot figure out what you're trying to do. I did lots of these. It doesn't take long to learn to load only 10 pieces of paper during the testing phase.

When you get through step #4 and have a successful print-to-file, feel free to send me the .prn file. I would be glad to help you isolate the commands. You'll have to 7-zip the file to get it attached to a forum post.

Personally I would encourage the boss to pay the fees and get it written up-front by Kyocera. I wouldn't exactly call what I got support. Maybe encouragement. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

What if you setup a logical printer per mailbox, i.e. Mailbox1, Mailbox2, etc., and default it accordingly?

ChristianW

Hi,

The documents are fixed and can't be changed as they come from JD Edwards XE. The print server is a very old linux version with no drivers for 3551ci.

Kyocera is trying to help but the guys we were speaking to didn't make the impression that they're knowing what they're doing. We are currently in trial phase and if it works we are going to roll the Kyocera out in our business.

@MFPTech
    I tried this in the Start of Job String but it didn't work: "!R! RES; MSTK 5; EXIT;"
    Somehow it prints to the printer default.

Regards,
    Christian