Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    kevinhtre

Copystar 2560 panel issue

Hello,

I have a small business with this Copystar 2560 we've had for a while now. Unfortunately, I'm in a rural area and the guy who sold it to me / serviced it for the first few years did not survive in business. There is another local guy who has helped with some minor stuff (jams, roller replacements) but freely admits he isn't a tech. Copystar can't seem to help. Anyway, this is why I'm here:

Starting a few months back the panel would be out, it turns on when we power the machine on and says loading, but then won't come "up". A reboot or pulling the power for an hour or so would fix it. The tech above mentioned he didn't know if it was a panel or a motherboard but to wait until it wouldn't come back on.

Well now I can't seem to revive it. Same issue. Says loading, but then is black. Buttons non-responsive I think. It's like it's hung. But I CAN access it from the ip address, change settings, etc. CAlling copystar produced sympathy because the nearest dealer 2 hours away wasn't a lot of help (at least not for a few weeks) but that's about it. A vague suggestion I look at updating firmware. Googling found me something called kmnetviewer, but the options to upgrade firmware are grayed out and i can't seem to get past that.

I'd appreciate just about anything. Thanks in advance.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Copystar 2560 panel issue

I'd like to tell you that this is really simple to diagnose and fix ... but it's not. Firmware related issues can be difficult and expensive to diagnose, and quite often your first guess isn't the correct one.

Let me explain a little:
    There are 33 firmware files that get loaded to various places in the machine. Usually (but not necessarily) you will get a cfxxx code when the one of the firmware files becomes inaccessible. Unsuccessfully attempting to load the firmware is a useful diagnostic tool, because you may see which files successfully load, and which files don't. Firmware files may be inaccessible if the firmware file is corrupt, if the DIMM that stores the firmware is bad, or if the board that the DIMM resides on is bad. So essentially, if we can discover which firmware is inaccessible, we can narrow it down to three or maybe 6 choices.

Usually ... when the display does not boot up, you can narrow it down to the op panel firmware, op panel DIMM memory, operation panel board, Main PWB firmware, CODE DIMM, or Main PWB. The traditional approach to repairs of this sort, where all the choices are of equal likelihood, is to address the cheapest items first:
    1) Re-load firmware
    2) Replace CODE DIMM, then firmware.
    3) Replace op panel DIMM, then firmware.
    4) Replace OP panel assy, then firmware.
    5) Replace Main PWB, then firmware.

You might notice a trend. Whenever you replace a component that stores firmware you need to re-load firmware.

Now you may get through items #1 through #3 with only frustration and a lot of head scratching and minimal cost, but items #4 and #5 will get quite expensive. Also keep in mind that these 5 choices are not every possibility, just the most likely choices.

You will want to buy a service manual and 256MB compact flash card. I do not provide firmware. The manufacturer frowns on dealers sharing proprietary information, but you may find someone willing to risk their job for you. It's currently at level 2.49, so that's what you're looking for. Any solution will involve re-loading firmware. You'll want the full version, not "Turbo" (which only re-writes files at a different firmware level).

You may decide that if you get through #1, #2, and #3, that it's just too costly to fix. I can provide additional coaching when you buy the necessary items. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

kevinhtre

Thanks so much for taking all of that time to help me out there, I really appreciate it. I do see a trend and I will try to figure out about firmware. Is it not possible to load the firmware using km net viewer? I didn't realize the manufacturer held onto the firmware like that, I'm used to being able to upload it. I've got the software, but the option is grayed out. I'm guessing because there's some way to authorize as a tech?

Definitely don't want you to risk anything, that's for sure. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I'd like to tell you that this is really simple to diagnose and fix ... but it's not. Firmware related issues can be difficult and expensive to diagnose, and quite often your first guess isn't the correct one.

Let me explain a little:
    There are 33 firmware files that get loaded to various places in the machine. Usually (but not necessarily) you will get a cfxxx code when the one of the firmware files becomes inaccessible. Unsuccessfully attempting to load the firmware is a useful diagnostic tool, because you may see which files successfully load, and which files don't. Firmware files may be inaccessible if the firmware file is corrupt, if the DIMM that stores the firmware is bad, or if the board that the DIMM resides on is bad. So essentially, if we can discover which firmware is inaccessible, we can narrow it down to three or maybe 6 choices.

Usually ... when the display does not boot up, you can narrow it down to the op panel firmware, op panel DIMM memory, operation panel board, Main PWB firmware, CODE DIMM, or Main PWB. The traditional approach to repairs of this sort, where all the choices are of equal likelihood, is to address the cheapest items first:
    1) Re-load firmware
    2) Replace CODE DIMM, then firmware.
    3) Replace op panel DIMM, then firmware.
    4) Replace OP panel assy, then firmware.
    5) Replace Main PWB, then firmware.

You might notice a trend. Whenever you replace a component that stores firmware you need to re-load firmware.

Now you may get through items #1 through #3 with only frustration and a lot of head scratching and minimal cost, but items #4 and #5 will get quite expensive. Also keep in mind that these 5 choices are not every possibility, just the most likely choices.

You will want to buy a service manual and 256MB compact flash card. I do not provide firmware. The manufacturer frowns on dealers sharing proprietary information, but you may find someone willing to risk their job for you. It's currently at level 2.49, so that's what you're looking for. Any solution will involve re-loading firmware. You'll want the full version, not "Turbo" (which only re-writes files at a different firmware level).

You may decide that if you get through #1, #2, and #3, that it's just too costly to fix. I can provide additional coaching when you buy the necessary items. =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I have recovered a few with your symptoms by following this procedure:

There is a small switch located on the edge of the panel board. It can be found using a flashlight and good eyes after removing the cover underneath the panel.

Note the position of the switch and then toggle the switch to the other position.

Turn the power on and watch the memory light flash. After a short time the light will remain on.

Turn the power off and toggle the switch to the original position.

Insert your memory card with the firmware files into the machine and turn the copier on.

After 7 minutes you should see the panel firmware begin to load.

If this fixes your problem, you can turn the machine off after the firmware finishes and then back on to test.

You may need to enter Maintenance Mode 201 to initialize the panel for proper reading of positions on the touch screen.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Ok, so far so good. If you have firmware level 2.49 and a 256MB compact flash card you can begin.

Since you cannot format the CF card on the machine, you can unzip the attached file and copy the collection of 5 folders to the root of the card as is. Then extract the firmware to the root of the card.

Power off the machine, insert the CF card onto the print card, then power up.

It usually takes ~15 minutes to re-load firmware, but in your situation it can take much longer, up to 1 hour. You'll want to pay attention to the loading of each file. If the particular firmware file fails, or the installation stalls for 10 minutes or more make note of the filename. Do not turn off the power or remove the CF card until the screen displays "Complete", errors out completely. It helps to keep your phone camera handy to take a shot of the status screen. It can be hard to remember the exact content of the firmware status screen.

Any questions? =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Just wanna add that you can upgrade firmware on 2560 from usb stick too. Just format it with default values and copy files over to the root. In your case i would also reseat all the operation panel connectors and take off the back panel and blow out all the dust.

Good luck.

Service Manager 250+ Posts kkendric's Avatar

Hire a technician, You should not attempt the above procedure unless you know what you are doing, you may regret it.