Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Kyocera FS4200DN, drum change

Have to replace the drum in the Kyocera FS4200DN but am not able to remove the developer unit out of the drum module. Got the drum unit out of its rails but the developer unit can somehow not be separated from the drum module.

What do I do wrong except the fact that the peeking customers makes me nervous?

Since I have to replace the fuser unit a tech manual would be very convenient too!

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: Kyocera FS4200DN, drum change

remove the entire drum/dev from the rail which i think you did already.

3. Open the front cover.
    4. Pull the imaging unit forward.
    5. Release the hook and then remove the [the hook or tab is to the front of the black plastic] only one tab.
    container guide by sliding backwards. [left hand side]

6. Pull the connector out.
    7. Release the lock lever and then remove
    the developer unit upward. [right hand side ]
    8. Check or replace the developer unit and
    refit all the removed parts
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks Subaro, you have a tech manual for me?

touchpanel[at]rex-technika.com

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

My take on manuals and software is this. If they are available on the net and i know where they are i will point you to them. I don't upload or email manuals. no disrespect though, but just my policy on manuals and software.
    I will however cut and paste a page or two to help out.

type the following below on your borwser search and find the manual

kyocera fs4200 service manual pdf
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

This IU is not intended for disassembly or replacing of individual parts, but I've been in them to fish out labels.

The gray plastic keys locking the end of the rails are a little tricky to release. The one on the right, you press down on the gray part at the top of the rail to loosen it, slide it to the rear 3mm, then slide in the IU on it's rails until the lock fits into the cutout in the body. Then use one of your dental implements to nudge it into the cutout, and fish it out. The one on the left must be squeezed with your fingers to pull it up and to the left. Once the locks are out, the IU slides off the rails.

Once it's on the table you can remove the screws holding the shiny metal plates at left and right. The plate on the right comes off. The plate on the left will stay attached to a spring (it will save you a lot of trouble to leave it hooked. There are two wires connecting the drum unit to the developing unit, that must stay connected. If you gently remove the wires from the cutouts in the drum side you'll get enough length to manipulate the drum unit, not much to spare.

With all that said, you don't need to remove the IU to release the primary charge with the plastic snap on the top left.

The last one of these I saw had labels wrapped up in the cleaning unit, and rounded out the "D" bore helical drive gear. I removed the labels, and successfully repaired the flat on the gear. With a small hole drilled from the outside I inserted a very small screw from the inside, and filed down the screw head until the gear would slide back onto the shaft. I really enjoy the MacGuyver calls. There was a lot more life in that IU. I hate to throw it away for a $0.10 gear. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 04-29-2015 at 01:24 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

While on this subject. We have quite a number of these machine out there and one tech had a noise issue and swaped out the drum unit and it worked for a week, then the noise came back. brought it in the shop and i looked at it and sure the noise was there. I Vacumed out the waste toner exit port from the drum unit and the machine. put it back together and worked fine no noise. I ran about 2k pages and noticed the waste toner box level was not moving. so i vacumed out the box and ran another 2k pages, no noise and still not a drop of toner. called our kyocera service rep and he had not heard of the problem.
    Now the waste toner box is very small and the capacity of the toner cartridge is 25k, so my theory was they must be using some kind of new toner and it takes a long time to generate waste and ready the machine for the next cust who it would go to.
    Lo and behold the tech said another machine was making he same noise. So i decided to open up the drum unit and see what was really going on. [ these are rated for 500k ] and was under warranty.
    see the pics as to the cause.
    Blackcat you may have call back soon if this is the gear that you fixed.
    the waste toner screw gear had broken of from the screw shaft and cause the drum exit port toner to get hard like rock as the shaft was not turning. the end of the shaft aslo had a rather bad engineering design where it is rounded and sit tight in a rounded indent.
    I think this was from a m3640i mfp rather than a 4200, but is the same family. But heads up anyway.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

This is the gear I'm talking about. I turned it by hand through several rotations, and the cleaning unit emptied. I know this because the waste bottle started empty, then became about 1/3 full.

FS-4200 cleaning roller gear.JPG

Maybe you're right about the bounce back, but it was worth a try. After all it was apart, and I didn't have any kind of replacement on-hand. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    This is the gear I'm talking about. I turned it by hand through several rotations, and the cleaning unit emptied. I know this because the waste bottle started empty, then became about 1/3 full.

FS-4200 cleaning roller gear.JPG

Maybe you're right about the bounce back, but it was worth a try. After all it was apart, and I didn't have any kind of replacement on-hand. =^..^=
    If when you turned the gear and toner came out, then in this case you are in luck and yours may just work fine. In my case i had to cut open the exit port with a hacksaw to see exactly what was going on in there and the toner was like granite. I had pics of that, but i think i deleted it last week or so. IF the designers had put a bracket in the middle of the screw, i think it would have work as designed. but 500k or three years warranty. kyocera honors thier warranty. like them for that. thanks for the feedback blackcat.

add... In fact, i disassemble the whole thing, drum, cleaning blade, waste toner assy and toner screw. But you know what, at 100k the drum was still perfect in print quality.
    Last edited by subaro; 04-29-2015 at 01:34 AM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I've also had the shaft (plastic waste toner spiral) break 3 times and was covered by warranty. Indeed the waste toner powder inside turned into stone and it broke. I blamed the toner powder, though it was OEM in all 3 cases.
    As for the removing drum unit, it's recommended to remove the developer unit, cause than you will have a hole on the right side to easily remove the right side gray plastic piece. Pay attention where you put the drum unit when you take it out, cause it's easy to scratch it in that state.

Btw, did you have headaches with fuser units, preceisely heat rollers before they updated it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo fan View Post
    I've also had the shaft (plastic waste toner spiral) break 3 times and was covered by warranty. Indeed the waste toner powder inside turned into stone and it broke. I blamed the toner powder, though it was OEM in all 3 cases.
    As for the removing drum unit, it's recommended to remove the developer unit, cause than you will have a hole on the right side to easily remove the right side gray plastic piece. Pay attention where you put the drum unit when you take it out, cause it's easy to scratch it in that state.

Btw, did you have headaches with fuser units, preceisely heat rollers before they updated it?
    Actually yes, the tech that has most of this machines is saying the fuser in not going pass 100k. Toner is building up to one side and causing marks.
    As to the removal of dev unit. Good point, never thought of that. but i have mastered the removal and install of the locking devices.

About the toner caking up, i was thinking the same as to the toner fault. But i was looking at the waste exit port of the drum and it is too small in my opinion and maybe causing the toner to build up there.

what causes toner to harden like that ? what must take place ?