Thread: Lexmark T642

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

Lexmark T642

What would cause the transfer roller to cause faint prints in one printer but not when installed in another? I need to get a maintenance kit, as I know it comes with the fuser unit replacement parts, transfer roller, and charge roller, but I want to know that this is what I need to replace before I purchase one. Also, this is a repeat call to this customer and the transfer roller in the printer with the problem is its original roller, and it wasn't working on my first visit there. Thank you for any help given.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Lexmark T642

Re: Lexmark T642

Quote Originally Posted by tcypy1961 View Post
    What would cause the transfer roller to cause faint prints in one printer but not when installed in another? I need to get a maintenance kit, as I know it comes with the fuser unit replacement parts, transfer roller, and charge roller, but I want to know that this is what I need to replace before I purchase one. Also, this is a repeat call to this customer and the transfer roller in the printer with the problem is its original roller, and it wasn't working on my first visit there. Thank you for any help given.
    It might be a transfer high voltage problem; that could be why the roller works in one machine, but not the other.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Also check the contacts where the roller sits and examine for crack or breakage. did you check the toner cartridge on the other machine too. most likely you did, but just checking in case you forgot.

Check toner darkness settings. printout menu page or go to web admin and search there. If the settings are set low number then prints will be lighter.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Lexmark T642

So, can I assume that you have swapped transfer rollers with another device, and both devices seem to work? Charge loss issues are frequently a factor of environmental humidity. Back in the day, a slightly charred corona block might work for months, until a particularly rainy humid day, when the copies would go light. Charge loss issues are frequently very intermittent, and can come and go inexplicably.

Were it me, I would install a new toner cartridge and transfer roller, and I would have reasonable confidence that I covered the two most likely causes. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tcypy1961 View Post
    I want to know that this is what I need to replace before I purchase one.
    Sometimes your only recourse is the process of elimination. You can't really know until you do it.

The maintenance kit comes with a whole new fuser, not fuser parts.

Lexmarks tend to baffle me sometimes with their weird charging problems. I've had several machines (T642's) that I've had to give up on because they were too expensive to troubleshoot.