Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Faulty Lexmark Imaging Units.

Hi All,
    I usually try to keep well away from the Lexmark end of this business but at the risk of being buried under a mountain of duff IU's I'm forced to seek help from the experts.
    First up whats the problem with these IU's? the failure rate seems very high. Secondly how do you claim warranty from Lexmark? Some models, no problem, "Your replacement is in the mail".......
    Same IU but different model, i.e. M5055, "Sorry we don't make, them you must have had them manufactured. Go and claim them from your supplier" .
    So I put a claim into either Alloys or Synnex and get "Yes they are Lexmark genuine, contact Lexmark for a replacement"....

Is there a secret to get Lexmark to take responsibility to replace their faulty product? If so please let me in on it before my blood pressure goes into hyper drive!
    Last edited by Lagonda; 02-11-2016 at 04:51 AM. Reason: one day i will learn to spel.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Re: Faulty Lexmark Imaging Units.

Is nobody else out there having problems with Lexmark Imaging Units?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yeah I have heaps of failures on the Lexmark imaging units. M5055, MS810, MS710, MS510 as well as all the MX versions as well. Rarely last the full duration had some fail in less than a month. Not sure on the returns I don't handle it but been dealing with it for near 2 years now.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Hi All,
    I usually try to keep well away from the Lexmark end of this business but at the risk of being buried under a mountain of duff IU's I'm forced to seek help from the experts.
    First up whats the problem with these IU's? the failure rate seems very high. Secondly how do you claim warranty from Lexmark? Some models, no problem, "Your replacement is in the mail".......
    Same IU but different model, i.e. M5055, "Sorry we don't make, them you must have had them manufactured. Go and claim them from your supplier" .
    So I put a claim into either Alloys or Synnex and get "Yes they are Lexmark genuine, contact Lexmark for a replacement"....

Is there a secret to get Lexmark to take responsibility to replace their faulty product? If so please let me in on it before my blood pressure goes into hyper drive!

What are the failure symptoms or issues of the failures ?.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

We see a very high failure rate on all Lexmark toners, all in one's, new machines etc. And yes the supplies have to be rma'd to the supplier but they really don't want them back as they probably don't have a 50,000 sq ft building to house all the defective Lexmark stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    What are the failure symptoms or issues of the failures ?.
    You name it, it has it! Blank white lines down the page, dirty smear down the page and a heavy background over all the print out.

Anybody heard any word from Lexmark about the problems?

Well don't bother wasting your time asking Lexmark why their imaging units are failing so often, I tried and got nowhere.

....................the amount of these imaging units that are being returned by customers. Is there any reason why so many are failing?

And their reply was;

For print quality issues, we also check the printhead lense or the toner darkness as it's not usually an imaging unit problem. Also we make sure that the firmware is updated to the latest version to avoid issue to recur after an imaging unit replacement fixed the problem.

Now I've been in this industry for a lot of years now but I still haven't worked out how updating firmware can solve crappy manufacturing problems!!

I was going to reply to that email but I think sarcasm, irony and outright abuse would be lost on them.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Yes, Lexmark stuff has a much higher failure rate than others. How many OEM transfer belts have you ever had be bad out of the box. I have had 2 Lexmarks in 2 years and none by any other brand.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

hptech34

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Well don't bother wasting your time asking Lexmark why their imaging units are failing so often, I tried and got nowhere.

....................the amount of these imaging units that are being returned by customers. Is there any reason why so many are failing?

And their reply was;

For print quality issues, we also check the printhead lense or the toner darkness as it's not usually an imaging unit problem. Also we make sure that the firmware is updated to the latest version to avoid issue to recur after an imaging unit replacement fixed the problem.

Now I've been in this industry for a lot of years now but I still haven't worked out how updating firmware can solve crappy manufacturing problems!!

I was going to reply to that email but I think sarcasm, irony and outright abuse would be lost on them.
    I've had my hands in HP, Brother, Kyocera and Lexmark for 15 years now and over the past 2 years I have moved to a new company where my primary job is strictly HP and Lexmark. Speaking of Lexmark, I have had issues with image units but not to the point that you all seem to be. I see on average 3 Lexmark's daily. We service and sell here and the only thing I do that maybe different than some others is I update firmware on every single Lexmark that leaves this office before it leaves and it doesn't matter to me if the machine is up to date when it is unboxed. Sure I get the paper jam and maintenance message commonly and occasionally the 900 firmware error and an image unit or two but for the most part, smooth sailing. Just my two cents..

Technician

I have a customer with an MX812 that has had light copies and gets only about 10k - 15k from them. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out if it's the imaging units or the printer...(a new IU fixes the issue for 10K - 15k then it gets light and streaky again).