Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Faulty Lexmark Imaging Units.

Re: Faulty Lexmark Imaging Units.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I have a customer with an MX812 that has had light copies and gets only about 10k - 15k from them. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out if it's the imaging units or the printer...(a new IU fixes the issue for 10K - 15k then it gets light and streaky again).
    It,s the IU. Just email Lexmark and ask for a replacement and attach the Device Statistics and Copy Quality pages. The will email you back and say either a new IU is on its way or the printer is a BSB model and you claim a replacement IU from your wholesaler.

HPtech, we must have a bigger fleet of Lexmark's as we would service 15 to 20 a day and I send at least 10 IU's a week back to Lexmark.
    When will they get the message they have a major manufacturing problem?
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    It,s the IU. Just email Lexmark and ask for a replacement and attach the Device Statistics and Copy Quality pages. The will email you back and say either a new IU is on its way or the printer is a BSB model and you claim a replacement IU from your wholesaler.

HPtech, we must have a bigger fleet of Lexmark's as we would service 15 to 20 a day and I send at least 10 IU's a week back to Lexmark.
    When will they get the message they have a major manufacturing problem?
    I believe customer low quality Paper is most likely causing the problem with Lexmark Imaging Units.

Unless the Tech's have worked on Kyocera PCU's, they are probably unaware of similar charge roller issues and how to take the extra steps to service the Image Unit when doing a normal PM. The IU's in the Lexmarks are suppose to be non-serviceable units. You may need to look at changing that non-service option with each MFD PM to extend IU life.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Hi Neo,
    These Lexmarks that are giving me grief are A4 desktop boxes so they don't have a PM period as per real photocopiers. The IU is supposed to get changed every 60k but they are dying around 30k.
    Just out of interest I just pulled one to pieces and the charge roller was as clean as but there was a huge amount of junk behind the meter blade. It probably is paper dust but since they are failing all across town from law offices to warehouses I don't think you can blame the paper. One of the customers uses nothing but top grade best Brazilian rain forest paper and theirs fail as often as dead end customers that use recycled toilet paper.
    My guess is that the cleaning blade isn't up to the job.

Its just after mid-day and another two dead IU's have just appeared beside my desk It's going to be a long Friday afternoon

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Hi Neo,
    These Lexmarks that are giving me grief are A4 desktop boxes so they don't have a PM period as per real photocopiers. The IU is supposed to get changed every 60k but they are dying around 30k.
    Just out of interest I just pulled one to pieces and the charge roller was as clean as but there was a huge amount of junk behind the meter blade. It probably is paper dust but since they are failing all across town from law offices to warehouses I don't think you can blame the paper. One of the customers uses nothing but top grade best Brazilian rain forest paper and theirs fail as often as dead end customers that use recycled toilet paper.
    My guess is that the cleaning blade isn't up to the job.

My lexmark customers use recycled paper. I do not believe that is the issue as the HP;s handle it fine. Blade failure is the most common issue. I have opened a new OEM Lexmark cartridge, pulled the strip and have toner pour out onto the floor. Lexmark US will not replace them. They buy the Lexmarks for a lot less than the HPs. You get what you pay for.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Well the $hit is about to hit the fan! We are now getting IU's that are failing straight out of the box and the Big Boss is furious and threatening not to pay the account.
    I've spoken to our wholesalers returns dept and they are as much in the dark as we are cos Lexmark ain't telling them nothing either.

Finally managed to get hold of some one in Lexmark who is actually here in Australia and he seemed to be greatly surprised that there was a problem with their Imaging Units. He's asked for some samples to be sent to him which I thought was a bit strange as by now the wholesalers should have a small mountain of dud units in their warehouses. It's obvious that the wholesalers can't be bothered talking to the importers and everybody is just going to bury their heads in the sand and hope it all goes away.
    So, please if you come across a faulty Imaging Unit please return it to your supplier and ask for a free replacement as if we don't all complain the Factory will just keep churning out the same old rubbish, pocket the money and just walk away.

Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

If it is happening in a specific machine at a customers location on a regular basis I would replace the transfer roller on that printer. I've seen similar issues with MS810n printers where you put a new imaging kit in (because the print is super light), is lasts a week, has 98% life left and is all the sudden super light again. You switch it into another machine and it is still super light. Believe it or not more than 50% of the time this is actually a printer defect causing the issue. In the most rarest of cases paper can also cause this problem (ie high static discharge from label paper or super poor recycled paper).

Update the firmware, replace the transfer roller and lastly if required the HVPS. Unless your positive it is the imaging unit that is just defective.

Also if the printer is in a dirty environment clean the Lexmark printhead glass above the toner. The newer lexmark models are much more sensitive to dirt. You could splash toner on the printhead of an older T64X series printer and you would hardly notice any change in print quality.

Long over due update to this thread.
    Had a visit from the local Lexmark head service guru and a heavyweight from the States who admitted that there was a manufacturing problem with one of the IU's that gives the dirty smears down the page. The other problem of voids and blank streaks down the page are cause by toner starvation caused by the TD sensor not reading correctly. This was caused by a batch of dud co-ax cable that was picking up electromagnetic interference.
    Their fix was the ubiquitous firmware update that would cut down the number of rotations that the IU did with out actually printing anything. We debated the point for a while that the firmware option wasn't viable as a lot of major clients have their networks locked down so tight that we can't access them and then they would complain that the printer configurations had all changed.
    The Lexmark bigwigs answer to this was to promise a firmware update package that only changed engine settings and left everything else alone. It eventually arrived, we did try it on some printers but haven't seen any major improvement.

So things are still the same, the field techs bring in about 5 IUs a week and I send them back for refund or replacement as they haven't reached anywhere near their life expectancy. Lexmark have given up challenging that the IU is the problem and claim its the way the customer uses it and just send replacements out the next week.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Take a particular note of the ambient temperature of each problem machine location. Does the temperature ambience or otherwise play a roll in the problem UI ?

When Drum blades and Rec blade become cold and harden in cold temperature/weather, they require a machine running period to warm up and soften the rubber compound. The softer the Rec or Drum blade the better the UI cleaning station works.

I don't know.... I haven't worked on a Lexmark for ages.

Sound like a lot of fun...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••